HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Things that bug me!!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 04:17 PM
zekeskar

Default RE: Things that bug me!!!!

I suppose it's a matter of degree. What do you think of farmer's fields? If I know that deer feed in a farmer's field, shouldn't I set up on that field and shoot a deer if I see it? Would you think it is wrong to shot the deer in that field? How about if I know about the field and some nearby thick swamp - and can identify a likely channel that the deer would walk between the two. Should I post that trail and shoot the deer? I'm still taking advantage of the obviousfood source.

I don't see very much (if any) difference between setting up your own legal food source vs. using some existing food source such as a farmer's field.

Every other hunting or fishing I do involves trying to figure out what the animal or fish eats or drinks, or when - and I use it to my advantage.I troll for salmon with herring. I use artificial food imitators to catch trout (spinners, spoons, flies). I use minnows to catch walleye. I walk corn fields for pheasants. etc. etc.

To me, the essence of hunting is not making it as difficult as possible for some "purity" reason. The essence is using my brains and skill to take the animal within the regulations.

How about this: lets say there are no obvious food sources likea corn field where you hunt. But water sources are pretty scarce and easy to identify. Would you post a water source? Would you post the trail leading from a shelter/bedding area to a water source? What's the difference between that and using a food source?

Isimply don't understandpeople who think that somehow we shouldn't take advantage of any factor out there, legally. That somehow our brains aren't to be used, or that somehow by not taking advantage of a certain factor, and making the hunt therefore more inefficient and difficult is somehow better.