HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Moutain Lion in Western NY?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 02:31 AM
Bill Yox

Default RE: Moutain Lion in Western NY?

RWalter, I saw that "wolf" pic too...last year! In fact, the time I saw it the text said it was from Hilton NY and examined by C.O. Doe...a friend and neighbor of mine. Of course, it wasnt true, and just another fab photo. As for moose's comments about dragging kills up trees, I hope he wasnt referring to MY comments, I mentioned drags, but no trees. Anyone with even basic knowledge of mt lions knows all about cats dragging large game away from a kill site and covering it with ground litter.

I guess we all would love to have a lion sighting, or a wolf, or just something thats not the norm, if for no other reason then to be able to say "what if?" Heck, every year we supposedly break the world record deer around here, only to find out later it wasnt even close. Its kind of fun in a way, really. But, things like bigfoot and others just doesnt happen enough. I think if we had the high deer populations of the nineties during the seventies, before so much land had been developed, maybe cats WOULD have expanded to the northeast from their current range. With all the exotic game breeders Ive heard of, getting pinched by new regs, I dont doubt a few were released or escaped. I just know better then to think the state could legally stock them.

By the way, I doubt anyone feels youre stirring up trouble, just pointing out an article on this stuff.