HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - friend almost shot
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 06:08 AM
smoothbronco

Default RE: friend almost shot

I have never heard anybody actually tell a first hand story like that. I always just was careful cause you "could" get shot.
I'll give you one, so long as everyone can handle a bit of a story.

Okay, so my club in VA is very private, friends of the owners and their family and that's about it. We are all very close and take every precaution to be safe. We all help out around the property, and come in during the summer to do work. Having said that, there is one week that one of the two owner's brother-in-law and his friends are allowed to use the property during muzzleloader. These guys do not help with the property and contribute nothing. One guy was in stand during theevening hunt and supposedly was watching a 4 point in the field when he heard something behind him. He started watching behind him for a bigger deer. When he gave up on seeing it, he returned his focus to the field. This was at last light. Well, what he didn't know was another guy was walking towards him to walk back to the truck. He had spoked off the 4 point. The guy in the stand shot him, the bullet passed through his arm and luckly hit his bullet pouch on his hip and deflected off, otherwise I would assume he would have lost his hip as well. He's lost the use of some of his fingers in that hand. I wasn't there so I don't know if he was wearing blaze orange. This certainly is not inline with the regulars at our cabin and if it were up to me, they would not be invited back, but it's not up to me.
The point I always come back to in discussions of these matters is this; If you can discern between a human walking upright, and a deer, then how do you know you would make a kill shot and not take a leg off? And if you can'tmake that distinctionthen you have no business shooting. It was a trajic event that has changed the tone in the cabin and willlinger for a good while.

Anyways, that's my story, one I never thought would have come from my cabin, but I guess there are idiots in any crowd. Please be safe and good hunting!