Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

friend almost shot

Old 11-14-2005, 11:31 AM

Default RE: friend almost shot

Well I hunt some public lands in Miss. and I tell you I will not rifle or muzzleload out there. There are some complete idiots on public land and I am sure there is some on private lands as well. I still turkey hunt on the same public land and I have had some close calls with folks walking up on me, the point is you have got to be safe above all. The best you can do is pay attention to what your doing and your surroundings. I'm glad your friend is alright, but I believe I would have had to tell that guy a thing or two. I hope that everyone gets a chance to see this thread I think it is a real valuble lessons on how dangerous hunting can be.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:49 PM

That story is freaking unreal man. I cant believe it. Sure glad your friend is OK. I would have unloaded my gun and taken the butt stock across that guys cheek. I would have appologized afterwards though so it would be OK. I mean really!!!!! That guy deserved something other than words, in my opinion.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes he was wearing a orange hat.He is now going to wear a vest
as well when traveling to and from the stand no matter what season.
He was on his Grandfathers land and got lost.he is just getting into hunting this year.Shook him up but still wants to get back out hunting again.next time I'll go with him to make sure he is safe.I think to much time has gone by to report it and seeing i,m not exactly sure where he ended up.the guy is long gone now.It wasn't a warning shot cause the guy was apologizing to him after.I just hope that the near miss smarted him up to know what he is shooting at before he shoots
Old 11-15-2005, 07:52 AM

I just dont see how thats possible, 150 yards isnt a particularly easy shot. I mean it just boggles my mind how somebody can shoot at another person. I have never heard anybody actually tell a first hand story like that. I always just was careful cause you "could" get shot. That guy was a straight up IDIOT. I cant believe your buddy didnt beat him down, I dont care how sorry he was.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Rhody Hunter

Yes he was wearing a orange hat.He is now going to wear a vest
as well when traveling to and from the stand no matter what season.
There is absolutely NO excuse for shooting at something that is not totally and clearly identified. That said, it sounds like he was wearing an orange hat and no other orange? I wonder what the regs are in that state? Another example why we have to protect ourselves - and the reason a minimum of an orange hat and an orange top (jacket, vest, etc.) are the way to go.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my state it is 200 square inches min during muzzel loading {a hat]
500 during shot gun at all times even archers .archers are 200 to and from stand except during shotgun then all the time
Old 11-16-2005, 10:37 PM

That is insane. Those are the type of people that don't deserve or belong in the woods.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

"In my state it is 200 square inches min during muzzel loading {a hat] "

Here in Jersey you must wear 200 sq inches visible fromALL sides. Not total. A hat just doesn't cut it.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:08 AM

I have never heard anybody actually tell a first hand story like that. I always just was careful cause you "could" get shot.
I'll give you one, so long as everyone can handle a bit of a story.

Okay, so my club in VA is very private, friends of the owners and their family and that's about it. We are all very close and take every precaution to be safe. We all help out around the property, and come in during the summer to do work. Having said that, there is one week that one of the two owner's brother-in-law and his friends are allowed to use the property during muzzleloader. These guys do not help with the property and contribute nothing. One guy was in stand during theevening hunt and supposedly was watching a 4 point in the field when he heard something behind him. He started watching behind him for a bigger deer. When he gave up on seeing it, he returned his focus to the field. This was at last light. Well, what he didn't know was another guy was walking towards him to walk back to the truck. He had spoked off the 4 point. The guy in the stand shot him, the bullet passed through his arm and luckly hit his bullet pouch on his hip and deflected off, otherwise I would assume he would have lost his hip as well. He's lost the use of some of his fingers in that hand. I wasn't there so I don't know if he was wearing blaze orange. This certainly is not inline with the regulars at our cabin and if it were up to me, they would not be invited back, but it's not up to me.
The point I always come back to in discussions of these matters is this; If you can discern between a human walking upright, and a deer, then how do you know you would make a kill shot and not take a leg off? And if you can'tmake that distinctionthen you have no business shooting. It was a trajic event that has changed the tone in the cabin and willlinger for a good while.

Anyways, that's my story, one I never thought would have come from my cabin, but I guess there are idiots in any crowd. Please be safe and good hunting!