HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - [Deleted]
Thread: [Deleted]
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2002, 12:30 PM
Briman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gotta love those old surplus rifles!!

I buy all of mine at Dunham's. Their service is crappy, the rifles they sell are way over priced and a good portion of them are junk or parts guns at best. I shop around at 4 different store locations when a certain model goes on sale and try my best to pick through what they have in stock. Finding a good saleperson is hard, and I've found one that will allow me to look through the boxes not on the shelves but I have to go to the store at night. It takes abit of effort but I have found a few 'diamonds' out there. I've also been burned by my complete lack of knowledge of these old rifles at first, but its still hard to complain about a $50 rifle that goes bang when you pull the trigger. You can order them online from places like Century International Arms and Samco for really good prices but need to go through a dealer unless you have a FFL or C&R.

Part of the fun is finding a nice old rifle, cleaning the grease and grime off it and finding it shoots well and looks nice. Anyone can go into any gun store in America and buy a Rem 700 and expect it to shoot well. But its really kind of special to find a 50- 100 year old rifle that will shoot just as well as a modern rifle.With cheap ammo one can become very good at shooting with iron sights with lots of practise. Its even better when you show someone up by shooting better than with a $50 rifle when they are using something that cost them $800.

Edited by - briman on 01/11/2002 13:41:03