HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - CVA Wolf this year or wait...
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 11:20 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: CVA Wolf this year or wait...

An interesting little note: I have been reading a pamphlet HODGDON - basic muzzleloading manual which is published by Hodgdon's of course (it was mailed to me free with a bullet order I made). In it they discuss different projectiles and their fps speed with different loads of Triple Se7en & Pyrodex pellets, and loose powderform. They also go into the fff grades of powders for some of the sabots, roundball, and conicals they discuss.

Where it discusses their Maximum Load Warnings... I will quote their advice;

"The maximum load per shot should never exceed total Pellets containing more than 100 grains volume equivalent. That means, no more then:

45 Caliber 1) Two (2) 50 grain Pellets
2) Three (3) 44/45 caliber 30 grain
50 Caliber 1)Three (3) 30 grain Pellets, or
2)Two (2) 50 grain Pellets, or
3) One (1) 50 grain Pellet and one (1) 30 grain Pellet"

This kind of shifts the liability of a 150 grain magnum load back to the manufacturer in many cases who then shift the problem to us by stating such as, although the rifle can accept a magnum load of 150 grains they warn us not to exceed the recommendations of the powder maker.... Which means shoot them magnum loads at your own risk people. The powder maker does not recommend anything over 100 grains. In fact only the .54 caliber is rated to 120 grains of powder.

In all the ballistics data they state, they never tell what the projectile will do with more then 100 grains of FFg or FFFg powder. It is a handy little book as a quick reference (if you do not shoot more then 100 grains of Triple Se7en or Pyrodex in pellet or loose form) and they also get into pistol loads....

I just found that information interesting and thought I would throw that out there....