HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wet powder, no buck!!
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 08:13 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Wet powder, no buck!!

The way I look at all of this confusion of which powder is cleaner and which is dirty... If a powder shoots a great group, I could care lesshow dirty it is. As long as it does not make the rifle impossible to fire after one, even two rounds... as some have experienced with hard crud rings and Triple Se7en powder. If a rifle takes me a little longer to clean, then it takes me a little longer to clean. 99% of the time I shoot loose Goex. If you want to talk about dirty powder, we can have a good chat. But Goex is a great powder and very consistant shot to shot. Also price wise it is the best deal out there for someone like me that shoots almost every day of the week.

I really don't have the answer to which powder would be best for you because I do not experience the same hunting situations as you do. I have visited the south and actually I commend you for living in that heat and humidity. Up here in Wisconsin we call that a Sauna. My little sister lived in Georgia near the coast. I visited her and about died from the heat and humidity, while they joked about it and went on their merry way.

All powders are subject to problems with moisture. All I can suggest is change the powder every day. In fact at the end of the day when I hunt, for that reason alone, I shoot the rifle off. This gives me the best indication of how the powder behaved during the day and how good my waterproofing skills were. I dropped/slipped and dunked a traditional rifle under the water one hunting season and it still fired. Start every day on a clean dry rifle. Waterproof the rifle as best as possible, and hope that the same thing does not happen to you again.