HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Finally got one on the ground
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Justin
Nontypical Buck

Default Finally got one on the ground

After almost 4 weeks of pretty hard hunting in Northern IL, Southern IL, and a little bit in WI I finally put a deer on the ground tonight. It would've been nice if it had been a big buck but hey, I'll take a doe when the opportunity arises.

She came in with a nubber buck around 5:30 and presented me with a great 10 yard shot. I thought I smoked her but as things would later show I ended up getting one lung and the liver. She walked in a circle around my stand and gave me a 2nd shot at 40 yards. I hit her a bit far back with the 2nd shot but she didn't go another 20 yards before piling up on the direct opposite side of my stand from where I shot her. Both arrows were complete pass thru shots.

On my way out to the truck to meet up with my dad I spooked the big boy we're chasing around. From what I could tell in the dim light through the binos he's a solid 150 class 10 pointer with at least 4 kickers coming off of his G2's - maybe more. This is the THIRD time we've seen him in virtually the same spot in the past 2 weeks. My dad was in his stand only 60 yards away but never saw the deer because of thick cover. Hopefully one of us gets a crack at him this year!

Time to take a shower and finish watching Game 4 of the series. Good luck to everyone in the upcoming days - the pre-rut is finally starting to kick in.