HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - longbows
Thread: longbows
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2002, 06:03 AM
Strutter
Spike

Default RE: longbows

Get whichever you prefer. I shot a compound for 25 years and then got a longbow a couple years ago and will never shoot the compound again. The longbow or recurve will add more challenge to a hunt than does a compound but, in my opinion, the taking of an animal with the longbow or recurve will be more rewarding. Anyway, I like the looks of a longbow so that is what I got. I now have 3 of them and love them all. The best advice I could give you as you are starting out is to get whichever type bow you like the best. Be sure to get a weight you can handle and then find someone that can help get you started so you don't develop bad habits from the start. If you get started right you will shoot better faster and not have to unlearn those bad habits. If you know of someone that shoots a recurve or longbow ask them to help you. I am sure they will be glad to. As far as having to be an expert to shoot a longbow. Not hardly. For me, after shooting the compound for years, I was pretty much out of archery shooting except for the hunting part of it. It just wasn't fun anymore. Then a friend let me shoot his longbow and the fun has returned big time. I enjoy it just as much now as I did 25 years ago. Whatever you choose to get, just have fun with it and the accuracy and everything else will follow.

Good Luck,
Strutter