Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

longbows

Old 10-07-2002, 04:51 AM

Default longbows

i am new to using bow and arrow. i have been looking around for compound bows but i like the aspect of using the original way with a longbow.
is it wise for me to start out with a longbow? or should i start off using a compound bow first, master that then get a longbow? i have heard longbows are what expert or people who mastered compounds and want something more of a challenge?

Old 10-07-2002, 06:03 AM
Spike

Default RE: longbows

Get whichever you prefer. I shot a compound for 25 years and then got a longbow a couple years ago and will never shoot the compound again. The longbow or recurve will add more challenge to a hunt than does a compound but, in my opinion, the taking of an animal with the longbow or recurve will be more rewarding. Anyway, I like the looks of a longbow so that is what I got. I now have 3 of them and love them all. The best advice I could give you as you are starting out is to get whichever type bow you like the best. Be sure to get a weight you can handle and then find someone that can help get you started so you don't develop bad habits from the start. If you get started right you will shoot better faster and not have to unlearn those bad habits. If you know of someone that shoots a recurve or longbow ask them to help you. I am sure they will be glad to. As far as having to be an expert to shoot a longbow. Not hardly. For me, after shooting the compound for years, I was pretty much out of archery shooting except for the hunting part of it. It just wasn't fun anymore. Then a friend let me shoot his longbow and the fun has returned big time. I enjoy it just as much now as I did 25 years ago. Whatever you choose to get, just have fun with it and the accuracy and everything else will follow.

Good Luck,
Strutter

Old 10-07-2002, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Quilly -

My experience ? You pay $500 for a good compound and the accessories (release, peep, good rest/sights), get it tuned right and shooting the right arrows and in 3-5 days you'll be good enough to go deer hunting, maybe sooner. Your accuracy will probabaly be hitting a 4" place quite often, 6-8" almost all the time. As you progress and shoot more, your groups will tighten even more. 20 yards you'll be hitting what you want to.

A longbow/recurve - different ball game. It took me a year of shooting to get confident enough to take my longbow into the woods. I haven't shot at a deer yet (I did miss an elk thanks to a limb), so I don't know how I'll react. Its such a huge change.

Some people are natural instinctive shooters. I'm cross dominant in so its probabaly a bit more difficult for me to shoot. Some people swear recurves are easier to shoot, I think longbows are. I think most people are overbowed.

In short, my opinion is this - if you want instant success, go with a compound. Its a great challenge from a rifle. If you want a much more difficult challenge, try a longbow/recurve. The Ultimate challenge ? Self bows. You could combine them, by getting a nice compound setup and an EBAY recurve/longbow to play with. Either way, PLEASE make sure your bow fits your draw and you, and that its tuned. I would venture to say that most bows made now can be dang god bows, tuning them is critical.

Any more ?? - just ask - this site is filled with some VERY knowledgeable folks.
Stealthycat's Photo's
Old 10-07-2002, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

Like was said, the compound will have you shooting fairly accurately at hunting distances in a relatively short time. If that is your desire, then the compound is the way to go. If you have the time and patience needed to master the longbow before getting the itch to hunt deer with it, then by all means go with the longbow.

Even though the compound will teach you the importance of good shooting form (as does the longbow) and it does shoot arrows quite accurately (as does the longbow), I don't think that starting with a compound is going to help you get ready for a longbow. Different weapon all together. The longbow is a much more versatile weapon than the compound and because of it's versatility, is actually a much better hunting weapon in my opinion.
Old 10-07-2002, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

I like traditional bows because of their simplicity and artistic beauty. I view compounds as machines. I don't have anything against them; they just don't hold my interest like the beauty of crafted wood. If you'd rather go with traditional archery, I'd recommend getting a cheap, low weight bow. You can get some from ebay at a pretty good price. They generally have them in low, but huntable weights: 40-45#. Traditional archery is a lot of fun, the shooting and the hunting. Not having to worry about the tune staying in place, sights or peeps moving, just getting the right arrows, looking down the shaft, and making sure my form is on makes a tradtional bow superior in utility to a compound anyday.

God bless,
Brandan

Old 10-07-2002, 03:32 PM

Hello, I started serious archery hunting with a compound 25 yaers ago, and last year I started using a recurve early enough in the year to be able to hunt with, and this year I have bought 2 longbows and got rid of my recurves. I shot a nice 3X2 mulie at 45 yards with my Vision longbow and cedar arrow. and I will tell you, 45 yards is my absolute max range for hunting. The deer went 50 yards. Last year I had and still get great advise from a gentleman that got me into traditional archery. But the choice is yours but tradtional is a great way to go.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:53 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It depends on what you are looking for. Compounds, when properly set up, are easier and faster to become accurate with, and don't require as much dedication to maintain decent accuracy (however, you may need to learn a lot about maintaining your bow and accessories).

You don't have to learn to shoot a compound first, although some of the principals are the same. You want to be consistant, accurate, pick a spot, etc. with either one. They are somewhat different though, like a pistol and a long gun are different.

If you have the time and patience, and really love archery, you would most likely become addicted to a traditional bow quick. If you are more interested in just expanding your hunting season, you would probably be better suited to a compound.

Some folks do transfer to traditional bows for the challenge, but to me they have advantages over compound bows. Neither one is a long-range weapon, but in general most folks are more accurate at longer ranges with compounds. However, with practice, you can take shots with traditional bows that would be difficult if not impossible with compounds.

Hope that is not confusing--if we can help, just ask.

Chad

Long Bows Rule!
Old 10-08-2002, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have completed my 20 year journey from compunds to recurves (2 years ago) to longbows (this year). I wish I would have started with the longbow to begin with.

I really didn't give traditional archery a thought until two years ago when my shoulder joints started giving me problems. After a half dozen therapy sessions and a month of shooting a recurve, my shoulder joints are feeling as good as 55 year old joints can expect to feel!!

Start your journey at the traditional end of the spectrum and you will have a much longer period of time to enjoy it and to become addicted! And you WILL become addicted!!

Bill

Praise the Lord, He is worthy
Old 10-10-2002, 08:59 AM

If you are committed and diligent and don't expect shortcuts, there is no reason you can't more or less master traditional tackle, whether a longbow, flatbow, recurve or Asiatic in as little as 150-200 hours of practice.

That said, there is really no reason for you to start with a compound. There's no doubt they are exceedlingly popular but there is also little doubt they are temperamental to tune, mechanically complex, expensive and heavy to carry.

For thousands of years and hundreds of generations we got by without them. You can too.

Whatever's wrong ain't the bow and whatever's right is the archer.
Old 10-27-2002, 02:45 PM

can anyone help me learn to build a longbow

Quick Reply: longbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.