HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - skinning and butchering
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 12:32 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: skinning and butchering

Check out the thread link posted it has lots of the info your looking for!

As to aging, it is a debate that will never be solved in our lifetime. I am of the opinion that aging of game is simply not required. Here is why first you must understand what aging means "it is a controlled form of rot". In domestic animals the aging has a couple fo benefits:
1) The meat is poreous so it will actually stretch, breaking down the fibres to create tender cuts.
2) The fat content in the meat (marbling) is much higher on domestic animals.

If you look at game neither of these things apply. The only thing that will make a difference in the tender"factor" is therigor mortis process is complete. This process is complete in less than 24 hours after death. So IMO & IME hanging or aging game for anything longer than a day really does nothing, it is more to do with the time factor. However I have hot boned animals and had no meat quality issues..the biggest thing I have found is more blood in the package upon thawing. I will say if you can control the temperatureit doesn't hurt to hang in for 3-5 days either. The key is controlled and many don't have such a luxury of a walk in cooler. For aging the ideal temperature is 34-37 F. If it freezes the process of aging is stopped, iftemperature goeshigher the aging process is increased..as the meat will rot quicker at higher temperatures. You can pack it in ice, place it in coolers by quarters or fridge age to keep the meat cool. If using ice I would freeze plastic jugs or keep it bagged as you don't want the meat laying in melted ice or water. If you have no other option than cubed ice make sure to drain of the water & re stock as required. So it really boils down to what you have to work with. If I can let it hang for 24 hours I will but the warmest I want that meat isless than 50degrees once the body heat is released. If not it gets boned out. BTW remove the tenderloins before you age it, they don't get any tender as it is the only muscle on a animal that does absolutely nothing...so they are as tender live as they are dead! Also on a deer they are not real large and will skin over with air contact very quickly, resulting in a loss of some very yummy meat. Mine never make the freezer, they are out and in the pan as soon as removed!

As far as dressing. I gut it immediately, makes sure the internal carcass is clean and any debris is removed. I also believe in removing the hide as soon as possible to help in the cooling process.

Good Luck