HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - snorting deer
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 07:23 PM
max the dog

Default RE: snorting deer

I've had dozens of deer snort at me. During Bow season I'm pretty camo'd up, very scent conscious and have the dicipline to keep still for hours. Despite all that some deer still figure out that I'm there but just can pin down what or where I am. It's always been does and never a buck. They snort for different reasons. Does snort as a warning to other deer that danger is about and to flush out what's making them nervous. Once they start if you don't move they'll keep up the stomping and snorting for a while. I've had one continue on for nearly a half hour until she just got bored or figured that nothing was there after all. I've heard bucks snort twice but not at me. Once to a smaller buck who ran off and another time to a life size archery deer target that we left out in the woods. In my experience, if a buck sences that something is up but just can't figure out what it is he'll sneak off silently while a doe will snort and stomp. I believe the reson for the difference is the does have to worry about fawns while a buck has to worry only about his own self.