HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buckshot load for deer?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2005, 11:35 PM
Jimini Thicket

Default Buckshot load for deer?

Every time I've beendeerhunting, I've used one of my uncle's rifles (because he has like a million of them, and I've always gone with him). Problem is, in about a month I'm going to be loving around three hours away from him (I'm originally from upstate NY, he lives in upstate NY, and I live in South Carolina right now, but I'm going to be in...a different part of upstate NY at that time), and I don't have a rifle of my own. But I do have a single shot, break action 3 inch chamber 12 gauge. No rifled barrel or anything, and it doesn't shoot slugs all that accurately. So I was wondering if you guys could give me some input on what buckshot loads you like best, their range, etc.

I've always heard that buckshot is fine for use with whitetails, but I've never actually used it. If it would be better for me just to get a rifle, that's not aproblem, you guys could recommend one if you want or I could buy one, but I'd rather not spend the money. I like to save most of the money I make, but I'll spend it on a rifle gladly if buckshot loads just aren't good for deer. I've been told that buckshot was made for bucks, which is why it's called buckshot, but I'm not going to be entirely comfortable using it on them unless I know it'll work well.

Anyway, I'm babbling, so I'll shut up. Please recommend a good buckshot load for whitetails.