HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - hunting in new england
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 08:10 AM
Flairball

Default RE: hunting in new england

What kind of hunting do you want to do? Mass has a lot of public land. Much of it gets hunted hard, but you can still find some good spots. I would recommend hunting (deer) on weekdays as much as possible. Also,I think you might be better off concentrating your efforts of smaller public areas which get over looked.

I deer hunt in Ct. The hunting there is good, but getting on private property is really tough. If you bowhunt I'd say try to get in somewhere in Ct, but expect to spend some time driving around knocking on doors before you find a place. If your looking to use the rifle, forget about it.

If you want to hunt Pheasant, Mass has many areas which are stocked, but they are ussually crowded. N.H. has some really nice areas which are stocked too, but they don't publish the locations, just the towns they are in. Again, you might have to do a bit of driving, but you can find them. One place in NH I like is an Army Corp area in Surry. This is southern NH. You should be able to find it easily if you look on a map. The parking is on Dort rd.

If you want to shoot (at) grouse you will need to put some time in behind the wheel. Mass actually has some pretty good grouse hunting, but for the most part it's on private land, and hard to find. I have pretty much quit grouse hunting in Mass. I have found that the two hours I would spend driving to go to western Mass was better spent driving two hours up to NH. If you go to the white mtn area, or beyond you will find excellent grouse hunting. The farther north you go the better it gets, and NH is a pretty big state, so you might want to make a few overnite trips. NH also allows Sunday hunting.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck.