HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Shotgun slugs/hunting
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Deerslayer_37

Default RE: Shotgun slugs/hunting

I've had a lot of experience with slugs, so here's my take on most slugs:

Remington CopperSolid-Retains all of its weight. You cannot destroy the thing. It will shatter shoulder bone like it was glass. The petals that come off it cut everything all to hell. If you shoot something with one of these, it will be hurting bad. I flubbed a shot on a big iowa buck a few years ago, hit it as it was trotting in the hindquarters. the slug entered in the ham, shattered the pelvis, severed the femoral artery, and blew through the opposite ham. Also, last year, I smacked a running buck at 15 yards. The slug entered in the back of the rib cage, closer to the spine, and angled out 6 inches behind the front shoulder. Within seconds of the hit, blood was spraying from both sides. It honestly looked like somebody had taken a can of spray paint and sprayed both sides of the trail. up and down cornstalks, all over the grass, after 20 yards, I found one extremely dead deer.

Lightfield Commander- The slug expands very well, almost looks like you took a hammer and smashed it. It cuts a good hole, flies well, but the thing expanding so rapidly disturbed me. If you hit a deer with this, I have no doubt in my mind it will die. however, I don't think it holds it's weight as well as the others.

Barnes Expander(by Federal)-Expands well, and holds together well. the thing is made for cutting alot of stuff up as it passes through the body. A very good slug, accurate, and will drop deer in its tracks.

Winchester Partition Gold-Very expensive, but worth its weight. Ultra accurate. I've seen it shatter bones like nothing.

A friend of mine shot a doe with a Barnes expander two years ago,got a complete pass through, had blood pumping out both sides, and the thing kept walking. After 10 steps, it flopped over dead. It's amazing how some deer can take something with that much energy doing that much damage and just act like it was a mosquito bite. It's like, Hey there idiot, haven't you read the energy charts?!? you're supposed to be dead!