Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shotgun slugs/hunting

Old 09-22-2005, 07:48 AM
Spike

Default Shotgun slugs/hunting

I hunt in Ohio where a shotgun is required. In the past I have used 3" Remington Copper Solids. I have had good luck with them but my farthest shot has been about 20 yards! I have heard that down range these may not be the best slugs. I was wondering what you all suggest for a good all around sabot slug for accuracy and dependability.

Also, I read somewhere that when sighting in a slug gun, it is best to do it at 50 yards and 3" high then just check it at 100 yards. The article said that at 100 yards due to the speed etc of the slug, it would be a frustrating task to try to group them well. What is your take on this? I certainly wasnt getting fantasticly tightgroups at 100 but they were certainly acceptable.

D
Old 09-22-2005, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shotgun slugs/hunting

i have a remington 870 express... i sight mine in at 50 yards using brenneke sabot slugs. i have a red dot scope. and when i shoot those slugs i hit the bullseye everytime..
Old 09-22-2005, 08:24 AM

I too shoot a scoped Remington 870 smooth bore. I had a problem with 3" mags in that the brass on the shell base would expand in the gun when I shot, making chambering subsequent rounds difficult. I shoot Winchester "regular"1oz, 2 3/4" slugs exclusively now. Never a chambering problem. For a smoothbore they group extremely well. I sight em in 2" high at 50 yards.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:21 AM

I shoot a Mossberg 695 and have been using the 3" Faderal Premiums with the 1 oz Barnes Expander. I sighted them in3" high at 50 yards, which is1" high at 100 yards. The only reason I did it this way was cost. At $2 a piece, I wanted to be as close at 100 as possible. I have been averageing 2" groups at 100 yards with this load. Out of my wifes Remington 1100 with cantilever barrel, she has been shooting 2 3/4"Lightfield Lights. Sighted in 2 3/4" high at 50 gives her a 100 yard zero. Those are giving her an average of 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Another slug I have had good luck with are the Winchester Partition Golds. They shoot great but are a couple of dollars more per box. I will probably use those again this year if I can find 5 or 6 boxes in stock locally. Good luck in your search.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

dtabor, The best thing to do is get a few different kinds and see how they shoot, that's where it gets expensive but it's the only way to truly find out how your gun shoots different loads at different yardages.

As far as sighting it in, start where you previousely sighted it in for, then work your way to longer ranges, but remember to clean your gun often when shooting, each subsequent shot will be less accurate than the first, both because of a dirty barrel and the barrel heating up (if shot one after another).

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Old 09-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I have an Ithica 37 deerslayer with scope and use the Winchester partition gold with decent results. I sight in at 2" high at 50 and get can pattern around 3" at 100. I am a so so shot so the accuracy works for me. The gun is pretty light and does the trick.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:39 AM
Spike

Thanks all for the info and suggestions.

Longrifle, the 695, is that the bolt action? I have that one myself. I liked the copper solids and havent had issues with them at all but as I said, Id hate to get a longer shot on a deer and find out the hard way that they dont perform out there. Arent the barnes expanders the coppers as well?

I agree, I'll just have to get some different ones and see how they shoot.

Thanks again

D

Old 09-22-2005, 11:01 AM

Longrifle, the 695, is that the bolt action? I have that one myself. I liked the copper solids and havent had issues with them at all but as I said, Id hate to get a longer shot on a deer and find out the hard way that they dont perform out there. Arent the barnes expanders the coppers as well?
Yes the 695 is bolt action. Shoots pretty good for being a $200 gun. And yes, the Barnes Expander is solid copper. Just a different design than the Remmys. Here is a 1 oz Expander that I recovered from a wild boar.

Old 09-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

dtabor, why not just test out the Copper Solid's at long range?

Personally, I used them last year in my Dad's Friend's 12ga, and they performed flawlessly out to 75 yards...took 2 deer, missed one multiple times (problem on my end)...

But I'd say just give them a go!
Old 09-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd try Winchester supreme partition gold sabots. They work really well. I've also heard a lot of good things about Remingtons CoreLokt Ultra sabots.

Quick Reply: Shotgun slugs/hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.