HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 525 lb. Bruin @ 30 yrds. w/ Slick Trick Broadhead - Photos
Old 09-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Goodguy

Default RE: 525 lb. Bruin @ 30 yrds. w/ Slick Trick Broadhead - Photos

BearGuy, Antlerchaser, Doublecreek, Nubo and anyone else who doubted and questioned the 525 lb. weight of my son's bear....... please read on. I will say at the outset; at this point all bets are now off. []

This is the e-mail I received this evening from my son..

Hi dad.[/align]
[/align]
My bear is back from the butchers. According to the butcher who is very experienced with bears, It is highly unlikely that it weighed 525 lbs.I'm pissed off to say the least and afraid to check the thread on the post.
[/align]
Unless you have some better idea I would suggest a post to this effect:
[/align]
Before I mention any numbers let me just say the sole person standing on the ladder shouting out the weight was Peter Allen of Buck Lake Outfitters.Bears were getting weighed on a 500 lb scale until mine arrived at which time Pete, confident in itssize, insisted on changing to what I believe was a 10,000 lb scale (5,000 atleast)Now the 500 lb scale is a no brainer with 100 lb increments, the 10,000 in 1,000 lb increments with alot of little lines between. [/align]

Well trimmed and hanging for a week my bear weighed 144 lbs.The next biggest bear shot by an American client (sorry Mark I forget your last name)was 400 lbs weighed on the 500 lb scale.At the butchers it weighed 132 lbs.Do the math. Butcher says unless it was absolutely freakish with fat it was not likely525 lbs.So, in all likelyhood, Pete Allen has miss read a 100 lb increment and the bear was 425 lbs.
[/align]
It's not Antlergetter who needs new glasses, it's Pete Allen.And I suggest all bets are off and we all head to Petes and raid his gun cabinet instead.An honest mistake I'm sure, but a little costly in terms of embassment for Goodguy and myself. Thanks Dad for your unconditional support. ( and deepest apologies if you lost any bets because I know what's in that gun safe................................my inheritance!)[/align]

Lesson learned. Thanks all for the great posts andespecially to those who had theexperience and confidence to challenge it.Al [/align]
So there it is. You guys were right. Do I now need to go into hiding? gg