HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - DEER HUNTING WITH A 44 MAG PISTOL
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2005, 01:25 PM
JagMagMan
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: DEER HUNTING WITH A 44 MAG PISTOL

You've got one of the best hunting revolvers that money can buy, in the RSRH! I have one with a 2X scope. I still don't feel comfortable enough to hunt with it, partially for the reason that A.D.D. said!
Seeing a great buck at 100+ yards in bow season is one thing! Seeing one at that range in gun season, and being caught with only a fifty yard gun in hand, is a whole different story!
I WILL eventually hunt with mine though!
As for shooting ranges, it will be whatever you are comfortable with! Whatever you group well with, using open sights should be your limit! With a good scope I have heard of people shooting out to 100 yards! Ethically, I don't think you could push a revolver beyond that anyway! For me, even with the 2X scope, my limit will be somewheres between 50-75 yards. My eyes are beginning to be my limiting factor! Even with a bow, whereas 50 yards used to be a realistic shot, now 35 yards ispushing it!
Anyway, practice until you FEEL comfortable before hunting with your RSRH. Confidence in yourself, ANDyour gun, goes a long ways in the field! Good luck!