Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 DEER HUNTING WITH A 44 MAG PISTOL >

DEER HUNTING WITH A 44 MAG PISTOL

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

DEER HUNTING WITH A 44 MAG PISTOL

Old 09-10-2005, 10:49 AM

Default DEER HUNTING WITH A 44 MAG PISTOL

JUST WONDERING...... For those of you that hunt white tails with a .44, what is your ammo of choice, and what weapon are you using?? I have recently purchased a Ruger Super Redhawk, and plan to use the 250 grain winchester partition golds FMJ hollow point, what kind of range should i consider effective?? I am an average shot with a pistol, and plan on open sights. I have been grouping 3 - 4 inches, at 30 yards or so. THANKS!!
Old 09-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: DEER HUNTING WITH A 44 MAG PISTOL

Just keep shooting. Not tellin you what i think but if i cant get my groups in under 3 inches i dont feel safe hunting with the gun. And your gona kill yourself if a huge buck walks in and you didnt have enough range time and get a bad shot or miss it.
Old 09-10-2005, 11:38 AM

I was thinking of carrying it with me in the woods...I will Primaraly be using my shotgun, with a slug, but there is always the time a deer comes in to under your stand, or in thick brush where you cant manuever a full barreled gun, ya know the times you wish that you would have brought your pistol.... I just want to make sure that the setup I plan to use would effectivly down a whitetail at say.....50 yards and under, and that i am using the correct ammuntion. thanks!!
Old 09-10-2005, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

No doubt in my mind a 44 mag could take a deer at 50 yards. I never have hunted from a stand before so i dont know about them walking under your stand. Just shoot shoot and shoot and get comfortable with the gun.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well the .44 mag is certainly a very qualified whitetail harvest weapon. Yes, you will need range time to become proficient with it, AFTER you decide on your sight system (i.e. scope or no scope).

I can't think of anyone more qualified to answer any of your questions than Ruger-Redhawk or maybe eldeguello. These guys can tell you what to look for BEFORE any problems arise in your weapon of choice or your style.

The .44 mag Super Redhawk is a very stout pistol - probobly the stoutest.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:05 PM

That is a good caliber for deer. Just practice till your hands are sore.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

You've got one of the best hunting revolvers that money can buy, in the RSRH! I have one with a 2X scope. I still don't feel comfortable enough to hunt with it, partially for the reason that A.D.D. said!
Seeing a great buck at 100+ yards in bow season is one thing! Seeing one at that range in gun season, and being caught with only a fifty yard gun in hand, is a whole different story!
I WILL eventually hunt with mine though!
As for shooting ranges, it will be whatever you are comfortable with! Whatever you group well with, using open sights should be your limit! With a good scope I have heard of people shooting out to 100 yards! Ethically, I don't think you could push a revolver beyond that anyway! For me, even with the 2X scope, my limit will be somewheres between 50-75 yards. My eyes are beginning to be my limiting factor! Even with a bow, whereas 50 yards used to be a realistic shot, now 35 yards ispushing it!
Anyway, practice until you FEEL comfortable before hunting with your RSRH. Confidence in yourself, ANDyour gun, goes a long ways in the field! Good luck!
Old 09-10-2005, 01:40 PM

Even when I have my .44 with me,I will still rely on the shotgun for 90 - 95% of the shots that I would expect to take. I will be using the pistol without the aide of optics...just open sights.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:20 PM

i never heard of a hollow point fmj.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:59 AM

I have hunted with the 44.mag exclusively for yrs. I shot a SR with 9.5 " magnaported barrel with a 2x Leopold scope.. I've shot every thing from 180gr. hp's to 300gr Linotype hard cast bullets. Where I hunt, no shots are over 75 yrds {max} most are less then 50. Bullet selection isn't that important but I found that on broadside shot's the 180gr. Sierras killed the fastest. 240 gr. hp's are probablythe best all around bullet. Practice, Practice, then Practice some more. GL [&:]

Quick Reply: DEER HUNTING WITH A 44 MAG PISTOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.