HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Walmart rifles....and resources...
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2005, 06:55 AM
Geddy

Default Walmart rifles....and resources...

Okay, this will be my first year deer hunting in over 20 years. Just before enlisting in the AirForce in 1987 I killed my first and only deer (a spike) with a Marlin 30-30 at about 150 yards. I have fond memories of that rifle - especailly after shooting the little pee shooter M-16, but I'm thinking now about something with a little more power. Walmart has Savage Combos (with scope being the combo) in .270, 30-06, 7mm, and 300 WM for the same price - about $340. I'm sure that the scopes on these rifles aren't that good, but are they at least funcitonal? Half way decent?
When shopping around you expect to see price dirrerences between stores and brands, but the Walmart prices seem almost insane! Is there something that I'm missing?
Win. Rem. are a LOT more expensive in every cal. Granted, they usually come in nice wood finishes and the Savages of which I speak are synthetic, but good crap, the price differnces are 2 or 3 times the price.
Also, I live in the Seattle area - pretty dense foliage, so I'm wondering what cal. I really need. I would really like to get the 300WM for its long range and smack down, but are there any draw backs to this weapon? I remember the Marlin was a pretty nice brush gun - being able to carry it in one hand down by my side, but it had a limited range.

Any thoughts?