HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buck vs. doe tracks
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 09:07 PM
max the dog

Default RE: Buck vs. doe tracks

True the only way to be absolutely sure is to watch the deer make the tracks but if you can't do that there are other ways. On soft ground, while running and if realy fat and heavy even a doe will make tracks like !! rather than \/ so don't rely upon that. Size is another way but it's also not sure (unless the tracks are really huge).
I tend to look at the way they walked. I've always noticed that does are very particular about where they put their feet down. It's just plain dainty. One foot in front of the other in a nice straight line. Bucks on the other hand sort of just walk around putting their foot down all over the place and leaving a trail that wanders about. I believe they're doing it on purpose. They're picking their steps carefully so they won't make any noise. How many times have you seen a large buck silently walk through dead leaves with hardly a sound?
Bucks, especially older ones, don't walk on main deer trails. They're too wise to do that. Instead they shadow the main trail to the side so they can sniff whatever was on it without actually being on it.
I've also noticed after a snowfall that does and bucks pee differently. Does will squat and pee in a single neat spot. They're trying not to splash on themselves and have more scent for a predator to follow. Bucks on the other hand are more like dogs. They will go on just about everything they can including themselves. They'll dribble a long trail of pee that's yards long if that's what they want to do. I think it's all about advertisng their presense to other bucks.
Of course I could be wrong on all parts. But if one track showed 3 or 4 signs of being a buck then it's a good chance it's a buck.