HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help me choose a Caliber.....
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 08:00 PM
James B
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Help me choose a Caliber.....

Different bullets have different intended uses. If you shoot a 7MM rifle and want a bullet of high SD for whatever reason then the 160 and 175 are what you need. I like a bullt in the lower SD per caliber for deer because I get better expansion with lighter bulletr. For deer with the 280 I use the 120 gran Sierra Pro-Hunter. This bullet perfprms very well at about 2700-2800 fps. More velocity would make this bullet a little fragil for deer IMO. I tailor that load for Mule deer at ranges of about 200 yards which most of my shots are. I hunt prairie deer and shots are almost always from 175-225 yards. The first loads I used for big Game in the 7x57 were WW 175 grain RN factory loads. Thet were not real fast but did give better trajectory and velocity that its main rival which at the time was the 30-30 and 32 Win Spec and 35 Remington. I would certainly not argue with the use of the 270 for big game for I believe its one of the best rounds going. However if limited to one and since I reload all of my ammo, I would choose the 280. I admit that you won't find shells for them just anywhere.