HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Addressing the "small" broadhead comments
Old 08-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Oldhootowl

Default RE: Addressing the "small" broadhead comments

Well, I am a simple man, so I feel qualified to answer. You are right that "The cutting diameter plus the number of blades makes the hole and cuts the tissue." I will let everybody else speak for themselves, but a 1" X 1" head cuts 2", and certainly cuts twice as muchas a1" 2 blade.Is the 1" 4 blade more deadly? You betcha. Does it open a better hole? You betcha. Will you be more likely tosever an artery or vein? You betcha. Will you be more likely to get a good blood trail? You betcha.Will, on all hits, you be more likely to kill the animal in a quicker period of time? You betcha. You must consider that a wound tends to pull open as flesh and muscle and tissue is under tension. Or, consider ethafoam targets, they clamp and close, the exact opposite of what an animal does. A 2 blade head will make a slit that will pull open a bit. A 3 blade head will open more in somewhat the shape of a triangle. A 4 blade head will open the most in somewhat the shape of a square, and will most closely approximate a round hole. A three blade triangular hole that has a 1 1/8" diameter does not cut as much as a 1" 4 blade square hole, and the 1 1/8" 3 blade does not make quite as good a hole. Also, if you check, each head will have the possibility of cutting veins and arteries the other doesn't, so that is a wash. But you are correct there is a limit to how much you can cut as it pertains to penetration. But if you test, or check 5 shots tests, you will find a 1" X 1" 4 blade while cutting more and opening a good hole, penetrates as well or better than bigger 3 blades. Why? Well,penetration is more affected by the width of the blades than it is the number. There is a leverage factor. And what about 5 blades? There is also a diminishing rate of returns, and 5 blades do not have much significance on the hole,since 4 blades cut in every direction, andonly hinders penetration. So there is a happy medium, and that is what I was after. 4 blades open good holes but still gives great penetration. Wide width heads also won't go through bone as well as smaller widths. So, a 4 blade head that cuts a total of 2 to 2.25" gives most people maximum lethality, a good hole for good hemorrage and a blood trail, good odds ofsevering a vein or artery,good odds for a passthrough even if reasonable bone is hit, and 4 blades help shatter bone as they start to enter. So, 2 blades will work ok, 3 blades is better, and 4 is the best of all. In my simple opinion, of course, you are entitled to yours.