HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Whats your fastest hunt?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: Whats your fastest hunt?

The first time I every bow hunted I changed at work and drove to my hunting location about 5 miles away. I walked back to my stand climbed in got situated and sat down. 15 minutes later two bucks get up and start moving towards my stand. I thought, "Holy crap!, the first time in a stand and I see deer already". A decent 7 point and a nice 10 point, not trophies or anything, but nice deer.

About 15 minutes later they are under my stand browsing. I drew on the larger 10 point but he would not give me a good shot, then the seven point turns perfectly broad side and sticks his heads in the weeds. One deer had a lucky day, the other, not so much. Now I may have waited or came back later and tried harder for the 10 point. I probably could have shot it then but I wanted a perfect broadside shot, I didn't know at the time a quarting away is just as good or better sometimes. Lessons learned I guess. I didn't see that deer the rest of the season or the following year either.

So I killed a deer the very first time I every hunted half an hour into the hunt. I was impressed, and some of my coworkers were a little peeved. If you include the tracking and stuff it was not my fastest hunt. I killed the deer at about 5:30 in the after noon and didn't get it home until about midnight. Since I had never done it before I had to arrange for someone to help me field dress it and drag it out. I did track it by myself though. It went 400 yards with one lung and a damaged heart! I think it ran flat out until it keeled over. You could tell it piled up at full stride. It didn't just lay down and die.

Second fastast was I went out at 6 in the morning, killed the deer at 10 or so and had it at the processor's by noon. I had to have someone help with that as well (I'm pretty little and don't own a truck). Of course I had been hunting for three weeks before it happened.

Paul