Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whats your fastest hunt? >

Whats your fastest hunt?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats your fastest hunt?

Old 08-05-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Whats your fastest hunt?

I was out hunting one morning.. I got in later than i wanted to.. I was on stand at 630.. I had a doe walk by 5 mins later. I shot her and she dropped. I gutted her and had her at the butchers by 715 and back in bed before 8.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Whats your fastest hunt?

What a lazy bum. You should have went back out for another doe. That is if you had the permits for them.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: ccm352

I was out hunting one morning.. I got in later than i wanted to.. I was on stand at 630.. I had a doe walk by 5 mins later. I shot her and she dropped. I gutted her and had her at the butchers by 715 and back in bed before 8.
What about your buck?........only kidding- I am sure the full freezer and pillow felt great!
Old 08-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had left my climber top on one of my lock-ons and I needed to go in and get it so I could use it at a WMA the next morning. I got off work at 4 and it was getting dark at 5:30 so i was just going to go get the top and come out. But then I got to thinking heck I might as well take my bow and hunt even if it is just 45 minutes of hunting. I got home thw wind was howling and I was running even later than I had alooted for and it about 4:40 and guy stopped and was wanting to talk on the way to my stand. I finally got shook loose from him and made it to my stand about 5 minutes until 5. About 5 minutes after 5 a 15" eight pt. walked by and I double lunged him at 15 yards.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:42 PM

The first time I every bow hunted I changed at work and drove to my hunting location about 5 miles away. I walked back to my stand climbed in got situated and sat down. 15 minutes later two bucks get up and start moving towards my stand. I thought, "Holy crap!, the first time in a stand and I see deer already". A decent 7 point and a nice 10 point, not trophies or anything, but nice deer.

About 15 minutes later they are under my stand browsing. I drew on the larger 10 point but he would not give me a good shot, then the seven point turns perfectly broad side and sticks his heads in the weeds. One deer had a lucky day, the other, not so much. Now I may have waited or came back later and tried harder for the 10 point. I probably could have shot it then but I wanted a perfect broadside shot, I didn't know at the time a quarting away is just as good or better sometimes. Lessons learned I guess. I didn't see that deer the rest of the season or the following year either.

So I killed a deer the very first time I every hunted half an hour into the hunt. I was impressed, and some of my coworkers were a little peeved. If you include the tracking and stuff it was not my fastest hunt. I killed the deer at about 5:30 in the after noon and didn't get it home until about midnight. Since I had never done it before I had to arrange for someone to help me field dress it and drag it out. I did track it by myself though. It went 400 yards with one lung and a damaged heart! I think it ran flat out until it keeled over. You could tell it piled up at full stride. It didn't just lay down and die.

Second fastast was I went out at 6 in the morning, killed the deer at 10 or so and had it at the processor's by noon. I had to have someone help with that as well (I'm pretty little and don't own a truck). Of course I had been hunting for three weeks before it happened.

Paul
Old 08-05-2005, 01:52 PM

Oh crap I forgot, the year before last I killed a doe on the way to my stand. It was just standing in the path. I ducked into the corn and nocked an arrow. I eased back out she was still standing there so I shot here at about 21 yards. Probably five minutes into my hunt If you don't count driving time. My buddy showed up a few minutes later and we field dressed her and drug her out of the way. We hunted the rest of the evening and took her with us when we left.

How could I forget that, it was pretty crazy.

He said had I waited I probably could have killed a buck since it was during the rut. That is why she was standing there being stupid, she was waiting to be bred. Oops, another lesson learned. Hey, I was impressed I killed a deer from the ground, even if it was sort of by accident. He was kind of pissed I killed a doe during the rut. He forgets that I'm new at this sometimes. Hey, I had a doe permit why let it go to waste? I told him maybe in 10 years or so I will be more selective, but now I just want the experience. He apologized and said he remembers what it was like when he first starte. He said it took him a few years before he ever killed a deer at all and he was not too picky about what it was either.

Didn't see crap at my stand though a few hundred yards away. However my buddy killed a deer the next day not far from where I killed the doe.

Paul
Old 08-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

My quickest bow hunt was 30-45 minutes into the opening morning of achery season, I don't remember exactly when starting time was.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:22 PM
Dominant Buck

It was right after Len had his cancer surgury a couple years agoand couldn't drag anything. He said he wanted to go hunting. I told him I wasn't up to hunting but I'd go out and wait for him at the trucks. If he shot anything he could call me and I'd come and drag. SO, I carried my bow and a turkey seat. I got there and walked up to the corner of a field deciding I'd wait for his call there. Ithrew the seat down, immediately sat down, yanked the quiver off my bow, nocked and arrow and swung the bow to make sure I had clearance from the little sapplings around me. I laid the bow on my lap and looked left. A doe ran out into the field 35 yards away. I may have been seated all of 45 seconds. I drew and released. I watched her collapse 75 yards out into the field. 40 minutes later shehad beenpulled up on a tree, skinned and boned out and thrown in some baggies while I waited for Len.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

About 5 minutes. I took my college room-mate along, b/c he had never been hunting, fired a gun or even knewanyone thathunted before. So, I save a doe tag for the rifle opener, and away we went.

I didn't want him to really know what a psycho I was, so we left at 6:00 (as opposed to the usual 4 am), and bumbled into the woods as it's getting light.

I got to a little ledge and told him to scoot up where he could see, and we heard something coming. Here comes a whole herd of deer, crossing 25 yards away. So, I pull up the gun and wallop one. He hooted and laughed, and after a brief photo shoot, we were dragging back to the car 10 minutes later.

It was fortunate, too, b/c he was the "fidgety" type, and wouldn't have had much patience to sit there for long. On the way out, I let him fire the deer rifle at a stump, and boy did that scare him. He complained about having a dislocated shoulder and being deaf for the next week.

city folk...
Old 08-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post. Brings out lots of good stories.

My quickest wasabout 3 years ago. A buddy and me were hunting my inlaws land. I walked about 15 yards into the woods and kicked up 3 deer. One was a doe that must not have known where the noise came from because she gave me a 20 yard broadside shot. My buddy missed a beauty of a buck, a nice tall 10 point the same night. I've learned not to walk into that little spot in the afternoon, there are always deer bedded in there. That time I got lucky though.

My second quickest was gun hunting. My best buck everwalked to within 5 yards of my stand on opening morning. 5 minutes into the season. That was the first time I hunted my inlaws land. Same thing happened 2 years later with a 6 pointer. Ah the good 'ole days. hehe.

Quick Reply: Whats your fastest hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.