HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scared Of the Dark On Public Land ! HELP ME !
Old 07-29-2005, 06:46 AM
adams

Default RE: Scared Of the Dark On Public Land ! HELP ME !

I don't know if I can help but the only advise I can give if face the fear head on. I was broken of this fear at a pretty young age. We were searching for a guy missing from our fishing camp that had tried to walkto the other end of the lake to buya pack of butts(aprox 2.5 miles one way). This is in the wilds of Maine, there are no other camps between us and the sporting camps at the far end of the lake. It was early May and the rods weren't good and to make a long story short we got stuck at 10:00pm about a mile in on a logging road. There were two adults and myself. The adults worked to free the truck and I was chosen to walk back to the main logging road to wait for a warden or state trooper to come along (at this time there were about 50 people in the search). So armed with a 4 inch mag light I made my trek out of the woods.

Now I love the woods at night. I do quite a bit of hiking at night, especially in the winter. Now I'm not saying I'd like to wander central park at night but the woods are nothing to be afraid of.