HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wyoming Preference Point System - Update from the Grapevine - PATHETIC!
Old 07-19-2005, 08:21 PM
HuntElk4Fun

Default RE: Wyoming Preference Point System - Update from the Grapevine - PATHETIC!

Shato-

I'm complaining how steep they all are. Plus, I put in for all of the big 3, so that's $120/yr, my boys put in, that's $30 x 2 (luckily it's $10 for youth) and my wife does every now and then for Elk. I potentially will be shelling out $230 just to buy points. I don't want them. The system before worked fine IMO. You drew deer on average every 3rd year, Elk about the same.

I understand it costs me $230 to take my family to a theme park for one day! That's not the point. I only have so much money to go around. $230 is almost a deer tag in Wyoming, now it's just for points. I hunt Utah, Wyo. and Idaho based on what I draw, etc. I'll be tempted to save my point money and go somewhere else. Plain and simple, it will slowly weed only lower and middle class hunters or at least give a preference to those who think $50 here and there is pocket change. That's what irritates me.

Colorado Bob-

I feel your frustration. I know ALOT of people with 6-7 points. Keep in mind, Wyoming sets asides 75% of the moose tags for people with the most preference points. I think max is 11. 23 is a tough unit to draw, so if I read it right, you will have to wait until all 11's draw, then 10's, etc. down the line or until you build up enough to end up at max.