HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question about a fawn?
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Bill Yox

Default RE: Question about a fawn?

Im with bearklr, its what our parents told us so we didnt bring every living animal back home as kids, lol. In my opinion I dont believe fawns are scentless, even. I know I can smell them. The does will clean them and while nursing she licks them to stimulate them to deficate and urinate, which she consumes. It keeps the scent and the surroundings clean. By the way, her grooming them also introduces bacteria to the fawn which he then grooms and picks up, which aids in the development of the bacteria in his rumen. Neat stuff, huh? The doe has such a strong maternal instinct that I doubt she will abandon any healthy fawn. In fact, even when theres a doe lost, the fawns stand a decent chance of stealing off another lactating doe to live through weaning.

I raise deer, so every year I see too many so-called "orphan" fawns, we always tell them to bring them back to the spot they found them, or further back towards cover. By the way, when the fawns are newborns, they might stay put, but after a week those fawns will get up and walk around a bit on their own. The doe "mews" and soft grunts to the fawns and they come to her once she gets close. Even though I raise CAPTIVE raised deer, I dont think it ever benefits the deer when we take one in from the wild. Its a dead end for that fawn. Imprinting to humans, safety issues, its just not worth it, even though I realize folks mean well.