Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question about a fawn?

Old 06-27-2005, 07:15 PM

Default Question about a fawn?

Today i found a little fawn beside the road near the field by my house I watch and hunt alot.I stopped and picked it up and brought it home to show to my family(which was less than a 1/4 mile from the house).My dad had just bush hogged the field and im assuming he got lost from his mom this morning while dad was working there.He said he didnt see it.Anyways it seemed very healthy and it was bleating so I took it back to the spot where I found it and laid it down in some weeds and stood back and watched for a second.He finally got up and ran towards the woods and we heard him bleat a few more times outta site.I think the mom will be around looking for him but i wasnt for sure.What do you guys think?The only thing that worries me is the scent I got on it .
Old 06-27-2005, 07:22 PM

Default RE: Question about a fawn?

The best bet would have been to leave the fawn lay, its mother would have found it. I know it is tempting to pick it up but the mother is never very far away. I am not sure if the mother will accept it or not. I have always heard they won't, just for the reason you mentioned, human scent all over the fawn.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

yea leaving it alone would of been the best thing. BUt i say it was a cool experience
Old 06-27-2005, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never touch a fawn, hard to say for sure. I have heard sometimes they do take them back. But I have saw fawns lay ALL DAY alone in a field and not so much as flick a ear. The mom always comes back after the day apart. Let's just wish for the best, you intended no harm. Aren't they the cutest thing?
Old 06-27-2005, 08:10 PM

I killed a bobcat after a fawn one time. Like everyone else said never touch em for the fact that the mother will not take em back. I've seen this happen twice one of my friends still has one of the deer. he is 7 years old now at his best he was only about 130. Thats really good for a Floridadeer. The doe died at 6 1/2.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:20 PM

Yea guys I wish I wouldve left him lay.He was adorable.I hope the best and I'll constantly have this in the back of my head"what happened".I'll be out watching and hopefully see them together.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:32 PM

You should leave them lay for legal reasons also. Almost all states have some law against owning wild deer/ having them in captivity. Your best bet in finding out if it is illegal in your state is to call your local DNR, i just know of a buddy who tried to raise one, and got a nice fine, so make sure to check this out
Old 06-27-2005, 10:55 PM
Typical Buck

I've always heard that if you touch a fawn and get your scent on it then the mother will not take it back UNTIL this year. Now, I've heard from several different sources that a doe will take a fawn back if you touch. So I don't know what's true now.

A few weeks ago, we did have a fawn curled up and laying in the middle of the road at about 12:45 p.m. about 200 ft. down the road from our driveway. There were about 4 cars that stopped and one of the people in the cars actually raises deer (and has a permit) so she took it home with her. Hopefully it's doing okay.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree ,should of left it alone.But I do understand your concern
Old 06-28-2005, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

A new born fawn has no scent, So the mother lets the fawn lay by its self so her scent does not attract any predators, she will meet with it to feed it then when she feels it is ready it will follow and stay with her.
The fawn you picked up will be fine, The mother will take it back. My kids find them all the time pet them for awhile then leave them and the mother always comes back. 2 years ago we found 2 that the mother just gave birth too and one was deformed, The mouth went way too far back past where the tongue goes down the neck, we left them there and went back awhile later and the mother only took the non deformed one, the other was not even cleaned off so I put it down.

Quick Reply: Question about a fawn?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.