HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Too Stiff a spine theory exploration
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2002, 09:05 AM
CapstoneME

Default RE: Too Stiff a spine theory exploration

ijimmy,

You make a good point, and I can’t disprove what you’ve said. I completely agree that everyone torques the grip to some extent. The point I was trying to make was that if your release method (caliper, loop, etc.) doesn’t kick the tail of the arrow to the side, spine tears during paper tuning will not be left/right as most tuning guides say. They will, instead, be up/down tears. For an arrow to flex in the left/right plane, there has to be some force acting on it in that direction. With fingers, the string kicks them hard to the side, so the arrow is subjected to a “fishtailing” force. If you have a loop, or a caliper that retracts both jaws from each side of the string at the same time, there is no left/right force; therefore, the only thing that can put a left/right force on the arrow is the rest itself. {Restating what I said earlier, the reason that the flex does occur in the up/down vertical plane is because the force from the string acts on the arrow in that direction. As the string recovers from full-draw back to it’s normal position, the excess that was “let out” is being “reeled in” by the eccentric(s). This creates a “tug of war” between the top limb and bottom limb, and results in the nock point being pulled in an unlevel path, varying with every bow and dependent upon synchronozation or position of the cam(s).}

I think most “natural torque” can be canceled out by adjusting the centershot setting of the rest. That’s one reason I’m such a proponent of tuning your own bow. The grip of the technician at the pro shop is NOT going to be the same as owner of the bow.