HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - food plots
Thread: food plots
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2005, 10:49 PM
GSPsnFORDs
Typical Buck

Default RE: food plots

dhuntingr.....lime is basically a neutralizer. You spread it on the soil get the pH balance to the correct number that your specific crop needs. The pH of a soil is basically the hydrogen ion concentration in the soil. When talking about soil acidity, 7 is neutral...anything under is considered acidic, and anything over is basic. Depending on the type of crop (or your food plot forage), you want to try and get the desirable pH level for that crop so it can grow at its maximum performance level. And if you get serious about this, it gets intoa maintenance spreading of lineon an annual basis (to replace the nutrients that particular plants take out of the soil) and a build up of lime which would be every four years. Sounds complicated, but honestly, it's really easy once you have the right formulas in hand. But I wouldn't worry about any of this just yet.

I would recommend getting a soil sample taken and having the right amount of lime spread to optimize your food plots performance though!

Also, like the previous post said, I would spray the weeds/grass to kill it in about 2-3 weeks advance, prior to you discing and planting.