HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Alberta Unit 438 Question
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2005, 09:35 PM
CapDog

Default RE: Alberta Unit 438 Question

First and foremost make sure you have a good set of boots. Nothing will end your hunt faster than blisters. Because you will be going up, down and across steep angles blisters anywhere can be unmerciful.(sounds gross, but I lost the tow nail off a big tow from runnning up and downmountains chasing and trying to cut off a real nice 6x7 with a small harem)
A set of good optics/binos. Its 6 point or better in there so it's nice to figure out if your bull is a shooter before you hike across a moutain side. Personally Ionly carry 10X binos when I'm out and active, saving weight over a spotting scope which will need a tripod to keep it steady if you are cranking it right up anyways.I do bring a spotting scope out with me and use it if I'm in an easily accessable area, but once things start getting tough I usually leave it behind. No need for a super high powered scope....just more weight a quality 3-9 with a 40mm objective will be plenty
Weather generally.....warmish (I think anyways, but I'm not from Florida)days with cool mornings and evenings. Don't forget though it can change in an instant and get real cold real fast. I can remember having camp set up around the 6000ft -7000ft mark and our water jugs would freeze over night.
Last couple of years the rut has been in high gear around the 20th to 30th so you should be fine. In fact last year I didn'tcall a bull into range until the 1st couple of days of Oct. The weather didn't cool off until then so things were a little slow in Sept.. Mind you I hunted a bow area farther south.