Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Alberta Unit 438 Question

Old 06-20-2005, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default Alberta Unit 438 Question

Has anyone ever hunted Alberta in WMU 438? I've got a Elk hunt for September & I'm just trying to get some information from someone that's been there. This will be my first trip to Alberta.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 06-20-2005, 03:42 PM

Default RE: Alberta Unit 438 Question

Start getting into shape. You are going to be on the eastern slopes of the rockies and you'll be walking through rough terrain. Good area, know of a few good bulls to be taken out over there. Decent sheep hunting as well. I'm assuming you will be trying to time the rut and will be calling?
Old 06-20-2005, 04:16 PM

Check your inbox.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

CapDog,
That's what I needed to know, I've been working out like crazy. I know the terrain & altitude are going to be a factor, since I'm coming from Florida where my altitude is like literally 1 foot above sea level. Yes we will be arriving on the Sep 25th through Oct 2nd, hoping the rut is still in swing. I hear the land is so beautiful that you will have a great trip with stories to tell even if you don’t shoulder your rifle. Anything that you could recommend as far as gear, optics, etc that would help us out? What should the weather be like at that time of year? My guide is Mountain Country Outfitters, have you heard of them?
Cowboy, I checked my inbox but did not see anything from you. Here is my email address [email protected]

Thanks for your help guys,
Shawn
Old 06-21-2005, 09:35 PM

First and foremost make sure you have a good set of boots. Nothing will end your hunt faster than blisters. Because you will be going up, down and across steep angles blisters anywhere can be unmerciful.(sounds gross, but I lost the tow nail off a big tow from runnning up and downmountains chasing and trying to cut off a real nice 6x7 with a small harem)
A set of good optics/binos. Its 6 point or better in there so it's nice to figure out if your bull is a shooter before you hike across a moutain side. Personally Ionly carry 10X binos when I'm out and active, saving weight over a spotting scope which will need a tripod to keep it steady if you are cranking it right up anyways.I do bring a spotting scope out with me and use it if I'm in an easily accessable area, but once things start getting tough I usually leave it behind. No need for a super high powered scope....just more weight a quality 3-9 with a 40mm objective will be plenty
Weather generally.....warmish (I think anyways, but I'm not from Florida)days with cool mornings and evenings. Don't forget though it can change in an instant and get real cold real fast. I can remember having camp set up around the 6000ft -7000ft mark and our water jugs would freeze over night.
Last couple of years the rut has been in high gear around the 20th to 30th so you should be fine. In fact last year I didn'tcall a bull into range until the 1st couple of days of Oct. The weather didn't cool off until then so things were a little slow in Sept.. Mind you I hunted a bow area farther south.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:41 PM

Lot of grizzlys and black bears in the area so don't go undergunned - gunshots are like dinner bells to them. .30-06 would be the minimum and 180 grain and up in premium bullets such as Nosler Accubonds, Partitions are very desireable.

Get some good optics - Svarovski or similar and a good bino system that puts the weight of the binocular on your shoulders, not your neck.

Take along a good compass or some directional aid

Clothing: Be prepared for weather ranging from sunny days to blizzards - dress in layers. Avoid cotton. Good quality polypropylene stuff will keep you dry and warm.

The decent bull elk in the unit are not easy pickings - you *do* have to work hard and work smart for them.

You'll also have to contend with the locals if your outfitter doesn't get you far enough into the bush and since it is mostly Crown(read as public) land, your outfitter won't have exclusive territory for your hunt (and yes, I'm one of the locals so I know of what I speak)

All that said, get into shape that you'll be able to hunt all day, day after day. Prepare well for the hunt and you will enjoy yourself.

Good Luck!
Old 06-22-2005, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Guys thanks again for all the help. I'm bringing two pair of boots that I have been breaking in for a year. The boots are my #1 concern, I know how quickly that can ruin a hunt. I will be hunting with my Browning 7mm Rem Mag (that I feel very comfortable making a 250 yard shot) & my Father will be using his British 303. We both have good optics, I just pickedup a pair of the Swarovski Laser Guide 8X32 range finding bino's & I've got the the all clothes from rain suits, cold weather, hot weather, etc. I'll bring my handheld GPS, I'm really good with it from fishing & a couple of compasses I hate not knowing where I'm at. So I guess I'm covered.