HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Average opening week temps
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Antler Eater
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Average opening week temps

Cougar,

I meant to type unit 441 instead of 141, so I would be just North of you. Here is the deal with elk hunting. A guy has to be prepared for almost any kind of weather at that time of year. The past three or four years I have been there for opening day I have experienced freezing temperaturesat night. If it isn't raining or snowing in the day time it usually gets good and warm.

Another challenge some of us have is that we have to walk in quite a ways (in the earlymorning darkness)to our hunting location. This means sweating for someone in our age group. So if a person chooses to sit for a spell, you better have some dry clothes to put on or you won't be able to sit for very long. Then when it warms up, of course those clothes have to be peeled off.Quality foot wear is also a must or should I say wise.

It is challenging hunting but there is nothing like it if a guy gets into elk, especially if they are vocal and responding to the calls. Even when the elk are hard to find it is a great experience just to be there.Man, I am excited for you. That is saying a lot since this old duffer doesn't get too excited over much. I hope you are able to get into elk and have an opportunity to"stick" a nice bull. Regardless, it is a hunt you will never forget I can guarantee you that.