Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Average opening week temps >

Average opening week temps

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Average opening week temps

Old 06-19-2005, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Default Average opening week temps

Average temps for opening week of archery in Yampa County? Specifially units 25-26. Going to be in the higher elevations.

Is a 0 degrees rated sleeping bag needed? How about something around the 20-30 degree range?
Old 06-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Average opening week temps

It can be in the 80' (I've seen it hotter) in the daytime and freezing at night. It snowed the first week last year (Unit 141), of course it doesn't stay on the ground long. If memory serves me right my sleeping bag is rated around 20 degrees and I have never got cold, even the last week of the season when it snowed or rained 6 out of 7 days and I stayed in a small cheap tent. I carry an extra blanket or two in addition to the sleeping bag.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Anter Eater. According to the Colorado Reg.s Guide you are not too far from the New Mexico line while I will be quite a ways west and slightly north of Denver. Just wonder how much of a difference that would be?
Old 06-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

How high in elevation??? I do 12,00 ft to 13,000 ft for ML season in unit 19 I use a 0* bag and backpack in. If you have a 0* bag use it. It is easier to open it up to cool down than it is ti freeze all night.
I've seen it 80* and dry and I've have 12" of snow and 15*.

Bill
Old 06-19-2005, 11:45 PM

Outfit yourself for the extremes, average temps are somewher in the middle between them.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cougar,

I meant to type unit 441 instead of 141, so I would be just North of you. Here is the deal with elk hunting. A guy has to be prepared for almost any kind of weather at that time of year. The past three or four years I have been there for opening day I have experienced freezing temperaturesat night. If it isn't raining or snowing in the day time it usually gets good and warm.

Another challenge some of us have is that we have to walk in quite a ways (in the earlymorning darkness)to our hunting location. This means sweating for someone in our age group. So if a person chooses to sit for a spell, you better have some dry clothes to put on or you won't be able to sit for very long. Then when it warms up, of course those clothes have to be peeled off.Quality foot wear is also a must or should I say wise.

It is challenging hunting but there is nothing like it if a guy gets into elk, especially if they are vocal and responding to the calls. Even when the elk are hard to find it is a great experience just to be there.Man, I am excited for you. That is saying a lot since this old duffer doesn't get too excited over much. I hope you are able to get into elk and have an opportunity to"stick" a nice bull. Regardless, it is a hunt you will never forget I can guarantee you that.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

Couger Mag

I been hunting that area for 10 years now . You have to take stuff for it being 80 degrees to 20 degrees . There is times Iam in shorts to get to a place to hunt and just pack my camo in mypack and there is times in the mouring that you are freezing and know that if you put anymore on you just have to pack it the rest of the day.

And yes your 0 degree sleeping bag would work just fine if you dont plan on sleeping out on the ground just dont ware to many clothes to bed in it cuase it will just make you sweat and you will get cold. Take an army cot with some sort of pad and sleep on that it sucks sleeping close to the ground even with an air mattress . You have to sleep good and eat good out there or you will poop out to fast .

If you need anymore info I would behappy to fill in the blanks for you .

[/align]