HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How the .243 stacks up
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 12:34 PM
48thguns

Default RE: How the .243 stacks up

[quote]ORIGINAL: bigcountry

48th, you kill alot of elk with a 243?
[/quote

Never shot an elk with a 243....when I grew up in Colorado, dad bought me an old 03A3 that I had sporterized back in 1960...always used 180gr noslers. My little brother's first rifle was a zavodi crvena zastava ...a rare .243 variant of the m48 that was sporterized for the forest barons in bosnia back in the late 50's. He killed his first 3 Elk with it...one a real nice 5by at 180 yards....one shot thru the heart with a 95gr Nosler...I was with him....backing him up with the '06.....didn't need me...Elk crumpled in a heap...he was one excited 14 year old! He still owns the zastava....been retired. A beautiful piece with double set triggers, shnobble forend etc. He has no children and has left it to me in his will.

I own 2 .243's both BOFORS Sakos. The one has killed over 40 deer on 3 continents and is now our camp rifle here on the farm. Still loading the 95gr noslers....only switched to BT's a few years ago. The little rifle whacks 'um real good.

My fav elk rifle is a sako Finnbear '06 with the new accubond bullet. I guess I'm a Nosler/Sako junkie.Regards, Rick.