HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How the .243 stacks up
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 04:19 PM
James B
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How the .243 stacks up

The KO number does not really take penetration into account. All heavy bullets offer good penetration regardless of speed. But on either the Corbon or Garret site there is data from testing done with the 45-70, 458 Win Mag, 458 Lott and 460 Weatherby. All using solid or heavy hard cast bullets. The 45-70 had 50 percent more penetration than the 460. The other two were in between but the 45-70 beat them bad at pure penetration. Thats why there is no way in H*&l that you can take part of the equation of energy. Momentum , Velocity KO or ME and determine anything completly. What Taylor is talking about for cape buffalo is apples an oranges to what concerns us for hunting deer and varmits. A 150 graiin bullet at 3500 fps and a 500 grain bullet at 1600 fps is going to kill the animals thet were intended to kill just fine. However how they do it may be completly different. A bullet that will easy penetrate to a deers vitals and even exit the other side, may not even go through the hide of a Cape buffalo without comming apart. Taylors KO was figured on the big heavy bullets that he used in Africa and India. Its niether a farse or a reading from the gospel. Its a different thereory from a different kind of hunter using different equipment.

Also if you go back and read my other post you will see that I said part of the problem with the 243 is not the gun. Its the young shooters who often use it. Now thats the fact but are not using the 308 or that would also be a problem with it. You go off defending your baby without even reading what is posted.