HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anybody here hunted like this? (need advise)
Old 05-20-2005, 06:14 AM
jpm8920
Fork Horn

Default Anybody here hunted like this? (need advise)

This coming deer season, the guys I hunt with and I are going to be doing something different. Instead of spending opening week at our hunting cabin in the Catskills, we are going to be hiking into a particular wilderness area and hunting out of a tent camp for the week. We have never done anything like this before. The area we will be hunting is plenty big enough for the 5 or 6 of us who will be going. It is the Balsam Lake Mountain Wild Forest in NY. I know that some people do hunt there but, as most of you know, the average hunter doesn't venture more than a 1/2 mile into the woods. The area we want to camp is about 2.25 miles in.

Here is where I need advise. We have never done anything like this before and I feel like without proper planning we will encounter problems that could ruin our hunt. We plan on setting up the camp and bring in most of the gear a week or two in advance. Is there anything you guys could tell me to help me out. I assume for you guys who have done something like this before, you could clue me in on things that I wouldn't even think of, i.e., things to bring, things not to bring, areas to/or not to set up in, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to insure that this hunt is successful, whether we score with some deer or not. Thanks guys!