Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Anybody here hunted like this? (need advise) >

Anybody here hunted like this? (need advise)

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Anybody here hunted like this? (need advise)

Old 05-20-2005, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default Anybody here hunted like this? (need advise)

This coming deer season, the guys I hunt with and I are going to be doing something different. Instead of spending opening week at our hunting cabin in the Catskills, we are going to be hiking into a particular wilderness area and hunting out of a tent camp for the week. We have never done anything like this before. The area we will be hunting is plenty big enough for the 5 or 6 of us who will be going. It is the Balsam Lake Mountain Wild Forest in NY. I know that some people do hunt there but, as most of you know, the average hunter doesn't venture more than a 1/2 mile into the woods. The area we want to camp is about 2.25 miles in.

Here is where I need advise. We have never done anything like this before and I feel like without proper planning we will encounter problems that could ruin our hunt. We plan on setting up the camp and bring in most of the gear a week or two in advance. Is there anything you guys could tell me to help me out. I assume for you guys who have done something like this before, you could clue me in on things that I wouldn't even think of, i.e., things to bring, things not to bring, areas to/or not to set up in, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to insure that this hunt is successful, whether we score with some deer or not. Thanks guys!
Old 05-20-2005, 06:41 AM

Default RE: Anybody here hunted like this? (need advise)

Sounds like a blast! I've never spent a whole week out in the great outdoors before, but I do know that at least two of you should be proficient in the administration of first aid! That, to me, would be THE priority item on your list. I remember being WAAYYY back in one year in late muzzle loader season here in PA and I cut my hand severly with my patch knife and had a spurting wound that I had to bind up with some pillow ticking and a boot lace! It was a pretty spooky walk back out of the woods!
Another must have would be a water purifying bottle. I have a couple of them and they look like the water bottles that you carry on a bycycle. Good for days, and save packing in tons of water. It's amazing how fast drinking water disappears! Have a blast! Good luck, and good hunting!
Old 05-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

My father and uncle who will be with me both work in hospitals and know first aid, but I never would have thought of the water purifier. Thanks. I will be setting up camp near a feeder stream, so I can use that water I would guess I could use that water. Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-20-2005, 01:59 PM

2.25 miles in is nothing.....don't worry about a thing. You can be back out in under a 1/2 hours walk if you need to. i stay for prolonged periods in the wilds quite a bit. Honestly, as long as you have clean socks and underwear, your toothbrush, 2 lighters, matches in a ziplock for an emergency, and a roll of flagging tape, you will be fine. This weekend i'm going by myself 15 miles into the bush alone for the weekend picking up moose horns....piece of cake....relax and enjoy yourself.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

one question i have is how far from your campsite do you plan on hunting?
the ruckus of a campsite can dramatically affect the deer for miles around,
also you said your bringing in gear weeks ahead of time?
if this public lands, you cant leave your gear there.

first thing to be concerned with is safety,
cant stress it enough, make sure first aid kits are up to date,
next thing make sure you know the area,
and are not crossing on private property,
much of the catskills is private property and very difficult to go 2 miles without entering private property, just because its not posted does mean your allowed to trespass,

also contact DEC for additional regs in the area
such as requiring a permit for +3nights
Camping
Primitive camping is allowed at sites marked with round, yellow, DEC markers or throughout wild forest lands at least 150 feet from any trail, road, spring, stream, pond, lake, or other water source. Camping is prohibited above 3500 feet in elevation from March 22 until December 20 each year to protect the fragile summit environment. A camping permit is required for groups of ten or more people. A permit is also required to camp at the same site for more than three consecutive nights.
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d...ts/balsam.html
Old 05-20-2005, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pray for Snow.....without it your odds are very slim. I was offered the opportunity to hunt several hundred private acres in that area this year and passed. The deer density is relatively quite low in that area. This makes stand hunting a crapshoot at best. That leaves you with still hunting as the best option. Most of that area is hilly and the vegatation is dense. Sneaking up on a buck is the easy part. If you are a very good snap shot you might got a shot off. Chances are all you see is him taking off.

Now, if there is tracking snow, you will have a great day ahead of you. Chances are if you stick with him you will get a good opportunity at a clean shot. Without the snow, you would likely never see him again.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good luck,bet you still run in to some people. I would be concerned taking things in weeks ahead of time.someone might steal it. have fun
Old 05-21-2005, 04:24 PM

If nothing else remember this.....EVERYTHING will get twice as wet and take 4 times longer to dry in a tent than if you were in a hunting camp. And quite honestly, I've walked 2.5 miles to get a six pack on a lost bet in the woods and was only gone for 2.5 hours. Have fun!

Old 05-23-2005, 07:39 AM

If you're not using cots, get some of those self inflatable sleeping pads.