HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - $428 for a deer license in iowa now
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Liv4Rut
Spike

Default RE: $428 for a deer license in iowa now

Deerslayer,

We have disagreed on this topic before, and probably never will agree fully on it. I am in my fourth year of college in Iowa, hunting is my passion, I drive around every night watching deer wildlife and etc. I usually drive around 60-80 miles during that drive around some prime deer country. I have no numbers for you on how much land Non-Residents own, but what I do know, is that during that 60-80 mile drive, I have asked countless farmers to hunt with the same Response, NO!!. It doesn't bother me, I do not blame anyone for not letting me hunt, it is their land and their right to give permission to hunt that land. So now I hunt mainly all public land, which it isn't that bad, I don't mind the challenge of out-hunting the hunters that already hunt the same land as me. I have learned that it is hard for a guy to go out and gain access to land first-hand. The area I have been asking permission is mainly Iowa Residents. The typical response was either, I don't allow any hunting or I already have someone hunting. It's no big deal to me, but the point im trying to make that in my area it is Damn hard to gain land to hunt. Your main beef for all your posts is that you own land and you should be able to hunt. That is true, your dad does own land, but yet you still have to draw just like all the other Non-residents.

Now, let me ask other Non-residents of this site. Do you guys think that deerslayer should get a tag over you because his dad owns land and pays taxes in iowa? Or do you think that both of you should have an equal chance in the drawing to hunt iowa?

Let me state how I feel. First off, I feel all of your guys pain on a 428 dollar tag, that is alot of money. I do realize that and if it were up to me, it would not be that high. I have also had the chance to hunt with 4 guys from vermont during our shotgun season here, and let me tell you what, those guys were a blast to hunt with. I view any hunter as a friend, while we may all agree or disagree on something, one thing in common is we all love hunting.

Now it's no secret, Iowa has big bucks, but this is what I forsee in the future if a Non-Residents who own land, can hunt for next to nothing. Is it unreasonable for me to state that if a person can afford land in Iowa and can get a tag every year, that he wouldn't mind buying land in the future to hunt? I belive all of you guys are smart enough to realize that if non-residents who own land here, could hunt for almost free every year or even guaranteed to hunt here every year, that there would be a major increase in Non-Residents buying land in iowa.

I know all of you guys would love to hunt here, why is ask? It is because of the chance to take a quality whitetail, im not stupid either, that is why I live here. But what I can't understand is that if you enjoy hunting Iowa, and enjoy seeing big mature whitetails, why nobody can see why are laws are the way they are. I do not understand why everyone lashes out the IBA, when they are one of the biggest contributors as to why our deer herd is superb. Obviously there is a reason people want to come here to hunt, I think a majority of it is messed up laws in their own state regarding whitetails. I mean think about it, any state can grow big whitetails, it takes age and a structured deer season.

In my closing, I think all Non-residents should remain equal in the drawing, whether or not they own land. I also stated how hard it is from my experience to gain hunting access in my part of the state. Other areas may be different. In the part of the state I am in right now, I do not believe Non-residents purchasing land is a huge factor. I do believe that most of the land locked up is to residents, which is fine by me. But if nobody can open their mind up to see why our laws are the way they are, then Iowa's hunting in the future is doomed. I will agree with anyone the prices are too high in my opinion, just with that price alone it will weed out a few applicants to the drawing, and I feel bad for them. I wish everyone could hunt here, but I also wish people could understand why they cannot hunt here every year. It's a toss up, I like to hunt big mature whitetails, but maybe someday I won't have that chance if big money decides whether or not I can find a place to hunt.