HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ruger Super Redhawk
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Ruger-Redhawk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger Super Redhawk

The 480 Ruger is a good hunting cartridge.I've never fired one . The recoil is manageable so I've heard.What I don't like about it,you are limited in factory loads.Reloading gives you more options.In the 480 that's the only cartridge you can shoot. In the 44mag you can shoot the 44 spl. The 454 Casull you can shoot the 45 Colt.475.00 isn't a bad price but it's not the best either.Ruger's MSRP is over 800.00. Check www.gunsamerica.com and you can find new ones for not to much more.I have the new Alaskan on order. I thought about the 480 in that.For reasons I mentioned I decided to get another 454 Casull.I might suggest if you do decide to buy this 480. If he has the scope rings on it. Pull them off. Look that they were installed properly and didn't damage the scope ring cutouts.I had a SRH that had a defective frame. The rings damaged the cutouts. Ruger fixed it once. It did the samething. Ruger finally agreed there was a problem with the frame and replaced the gun.If it were me I would pass on the 480 and get either a SRH in 44 mag or the mighty Casull.

Ruger Redhawk