HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Arrow Speed, Misjudged Yardage & Ethics
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2002, 09:02 AM
rml127

Default RE: Arrow Speed, Misjudged Yardage & Ethics

I have only bowhunted for 5 years now so I don't even try to pretend I know everything. I do try to learn as much as possible. I have taken two deer with clean kills and I lost one deer that ran into the lake and sank only to wash up on shore a week later. It was a good shot but he ran fifty yards to the water on me. I feel terrible about that deer but I don't know how I could have prevented it besides making a heart shot. I have passed up MANY shots because I wasn't positive I could hit the kill zone. I am a terrible judge of distance, I couldn't tell you where I was inside of 30 yards or 300 yards. I practice alot and try to become better. I pick things all the time and then pace them off year round. I'm not unethical because I am bad at this. I choose a flatshooting light arrow because the heavy aluminums dropped so much that if I misjudged by 5 yards I would miss. My bow shoots to 25 yards with one pin. I am confident within that range so I mark 25 yards around my stand. I am doing everything possible to ensure a clean hit. Shooting a slow arrow that arcs through the air in my opinion is a bad idea unless you are extremely good with it. Even the pros misjudge now and then and that means a miss or a wounded deer. I would love to hunt with a traditional bow and I practice often with one but at the rate I am going It will be a long time before I am confident with it. I believe I am more Ethical because I practice and I shoot the best combination of equipment I can to ensure if I goof up by 5 yards the arrow still hits the kill zone. If I were using your combination I wouldn't be confident at all. I do admire you (and anyone else) who can shoot that well with traditional equipment, I hope to do that someday. Until then I want everything in my favor I can get.