HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Fellow Hunter Stabs Us In The Back
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Goodguy

Default Fellow Hunter Stabs Us In The Back

This a letter to the editor that appeared on Wed Apr. 20/05 apparently written by a so called hunter.

The Record (Newspaper)
160 King St. East
Kitchener, Ontario
N2G 4E5

It's time to put an end to bow-hunting

The Record (Kitchener, Cambridge and Waterloo)
Wed 20 Apr 2005
Page: A12
Section: OPINION
Byline: Bruce Thornton
Column: LETTER OF THE DAY

I have been following the bow-hunting debate with increasing interest over the past few weeks. I am a small c Conservative, right-wing gun owner and never considered myself an animal activist. I did a little research on bow hunting and it proved to be a real wake-up call.

It became apparent that it is a very inefficient way to hunt and has no upside or any place in modern society. I own bows but only use them for target practice with my grandson. Never would I or any hunter I know use a bow for hunting.

There are many irrelevant issues raised by pro-bow hunters (crop damage, vehicles hitting deer, need for culls, deer die and suffer in the wild anyway, bows have been used for thousands of years, it is a "real" sport, etc.), none of which address the real issue -- cruelty. If deer must be killed, then please do it humanely. I have seen pictures of deer walking around with arrows in them and have read many articles relating the suffering other animals go through when impaled with an arrow. It simply is not necessary.

I appreciate Larry Anstett bringing this disgusting and pointless cruelty to every caring person's attention and wish him success in banning bow hunting. Any less would be an affront to a society that prides itself on doing the right thing. I beg our elected officials to stand up and listen to the vast majority of citizens who find this "sport" repulsive.

We have moved on from so many things that were once considered acceptable but have been shown for what they are --anachronistic.

Please write or call your local legislator if you find, as I do, that it is past time to end this barbaric practice.

Bruce Thornton

New Hamburg

If you’re as upset as I was over an apparent fellow hunter literally stabbing us in the back you can send a letter to the Editor as I did; [email protected] gg