Old 04-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Team 19 Gobber Gurus

welcome aboard woody

Whats with the choke uncle you miss one
Old 04-24-2009, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't seen anything to shoot at yet. You said you missed at 10 yards with your gun, so I figured it had at least something to do with a tight choke. Lots of guys try to get killing patterns at 50 yds, but they find when they are not sighted precisely at less than 20 yds, they miss because the pattern is so small at close range.

I may hunt after work today, definitely going tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby

I haven't seen anything to shoot at yet. You said you missed at 10 yards with your gun, so I figured it had at least something to do with a tight choke. Lots of guys try to get killing patterns at 50 yds, but they find when they are not sighted precisely at less than 20 yds, they miss because the pattern is so small at close range.

I may hunt after work today, definitely going tomorrow.
No I didn't miss i never pulled the trigger he came in from a way that I didn't anticipate and dead silent and I was in some thick stuff and just couldn't get the gun arround through all of the buck thorn without him spotting me and didn't want to alert him cause i could see 4 more about a 100 yds out so didn't want them to run off to. No at 10 yds I have a good patern and don't miss
Old 04-26-2009, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

For those of you who have net yet PM'd me your address for stickers, please do so.

I took my little nephew out on the NY youth hunt yesterday. First time he has ever been. He heard his first gobble ever right at sun-up, but we never got to see the bird. We then relocated and I called in 2 toms and 3 hens. He killed his first bird at about 20 yrds with his mossberg 500 20gauge. He was so excited!
21.5 lbs
8.75 inch beard
7/8 inch spurs
Old 04-28-2009, 07:29 AM

Another quick season for me and Greenwing getter (Drake) with my busy upcoming month it might be a good thing but it seems to be bittersweet right now.

Started in New York with the youth season on Saturday and Drake was lucky enough to harvest a nice 14 lb jake after having several hens pull a first lite Tom away from us.. He dropped the jake about 8:15 after a long time of no action or gobbling when suddenly two jakes fired up behind us and in no time they were trotting to the decoys. He had wanted to hold out for a Tom but the excitment got the best of him and down went the bigger of the 2 Jakes about about 30 yds.
It was a great weekend with about 1/2 the youngster involved in the youth hunt getting a bird. Thanks to our New York hosts for sure.

Monday started with lots of gobbling but not where I expected it be coming from. Since we were in a pop up blind the option to close to the birds was not available. So we worked on calling them to us from about 250 yds away. At about 6:00 we had a Tom coming towards us and he was answering the call nicely, when he got to about 45 yds behind us in a spot we couldn't see or shoot him he stopped on a small hill and looked down on the decoys. He then began to spit and drum for about 5 mins. drake was amazed at the sound as it seemed to vibrate the ground underneath us! He then went quite and I thought that he had lost interest when suddenly he appeared within 5 yds of the blind. He was in a tough spot for Drake to get a bead on him and once he was in the bubble he became nervous, unfortunatly the bead and the Toms head never meet and he escaped the encounter.
Drake was quite disappointted that he had missed his first chance at a Tom but I told him to wait it out and see what the day would bring us. The woods remained quite after this till about 8:20 when we were visited by 4 deer who eventualy ended up inside 10 yds from the blind. To see their reaction to the decoys was quite interesting. As the deer began to walk off I was sure I heard a gobble and had Drake answer with his box call, sure enough he got an instant response, and over the next few minutes he was calling the gobbler towards us. I then had Drake give the Tom the silent treatment and he could take it no morw and started closing in fast. I looked behind us and to my amazement there were 3 Toms coming to visit. They would take turns strutting and then running ahead of the others to strutt. When the reached 20 yds Drake dropped what looked like the biggest and the high fives began. It was a very proud moment for me to see my son call in and drop his first Tom !!!I day we will revisit many times I am sure!!

17 Lbs, 1 1/8 & 7/8 (broken spur) 9 1/4 beard.

One of his buddies hung around to pound on him. Hope he is that dumb tomorrow!!

Today was a repeat of yesterday but with a satelite Tom near us and soon after flydown he was working his way to the decoysat 6:00. Since Drake had already shot 2 Birds he wanted me to shoot this Tom so being a good Dad I granted his wish.

18 Lbs, 7/8 & 3/4(Broken spur) 8 1/8 beard.

Seemed funny that bothy birds were sporting a broken tipped spur must have been some serious sparring going on!!!

So now the season in Ont has come to a close for us BUT hopefully I can squeeze a hunt in New York into the month of May.
Best of luck to all the others as your season goes on.

Since apprentice hunters must share my tags in Ont The bigger Tom should count for scoring IMHO

Pics to follow
Old 05-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

How's everyone doing?? Wish i could have another tag.. Bored sitting at home and calling lol...
Old 05-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

All jakes for me so far. Been holding out as there are mature birds around.I'll shoot one this weekend if I have to, Sunday is end of season.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:03 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Okay boyz and girls - since your captain abandoned you I went through your thread and scored your turkeys!

All team members check and make sure I got this correct.

DowningAir
little indian
mconwa951 1 1 55.0000
MK M GOBL 1 1 67.7500
shottyhunter24
Wood Duck Wizard 1 1 50.5000
tigerw10
TURKEYWHACKER
UncleNorby
wisbowhunter2009 1 1 68.0000
younggun308
Total 4 4 241.2500

Old 05-18-2009, 03:05 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Pls PM me if I ahve missed one or something is not correct. Tiger was to send you your free sticker - If anyone has a problem PM me and I will take care of it.

JW
Old 05-18-2009, 05:22 PM
JW
Super Moderator

This is what I have to date

okay-Team 19--------
1-DowningAir--------
2-little indian--------
3-mconwa951-1-1-55.0000-----
4-MK M GOBL-1-1-67.7500-----
5-shottyhunter24--------
6-Wood Duck Wizard-1-1-50.5000-----
7-tigerw10--------
8-TURKEYWHACKER--------
9-UncleNorby--------
10-wisbowhunter2009-1-1-68.0000-----
11-younggun308--------
-Total-4-4-Total 11 man 241.2500- Total all birds-241.2500

Quick Reply: Team 19 Gobber Gurus

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.