Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > '09 Turkey Contest
 Team #18-"The Bubba Gump Turkey Co." >

Team #18-"The Bubba Gump Turkey Co."

Community

Team #18-"The Bubba Gump Turkey Co."

Old 05-10-2009, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Team #18-"The Bubba Gump Turkey Co."

Man, I was close this morning. Same bird I heard yesterday but today I set up a little different. He was gobbling good on the roost so I thought that maybe he was alone. He was, but not for long. Damn hens!! It's extremely rare for them to still be mating but with over a ft. of rain in the last 3 wks. some of the nests got flooded and they had to renest and rebreed. I almost stepped on a hen yesterday and she had over a dozen poults with her which is normal for this time of yr. here in Ga. What a spring. There's already poults on the ground and some hens are still being bred.I'm going to keep working on this bird. Maybe tomorrow.

JJones- Nice bird Jim!!! Did you get your computer fixed?

Dan
Old 05-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Woulda, coulda, shoulda!! Dang it! I called in 4 Jakes this am and as they left and got behind some bushes I cutt hard and followed it with a couple of yelps. One of em gobbled- so I "thunk".
About two min. later here they come back. I didn't even bother to lift my gun as I knew it was the Jakes. Stupid mistake. There was only two of em which was my first clue and when they stood at attn. and stared at the decoy they had just seen was my second clue. They were facing me at about 40 yds. and we were in dark timber so Ididn't see their beards until they turned to walk back the way they came. Oh crap!!!! By the time I eased my gun up they were behind some bushes and that was that. I had em dead to rts. They weren't spooked so maybe I'll get another chance at em. That's 2 times I should have killed these birds and both times from the same tree. Maybe tomorrow I'll get things rt. I sure hope so. I'm still holding off on the Jakes but come Friday it will be a different story if I don't get lucky before then. Of course with that being said I probably won't see a Jake Friday. lol I'm done with decoys for this year. I think those gobblers have had some run ins with all these Jakes. Thank God for Thermacell's. The mosquito's are horrible. The saga continues.

Dan
Old 05-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

No luck this morning.Didn't hear amature bird gobblebut did callin the "Gobbling Jakes" again.3 days left. The fat lady is starting to hum the song.

Dan
Old 05-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

3 more Jakes!! Man, they fooled me this morning. I was in a completely different area so this was a different group. They all had mature gobbles. I worked em for 30 min. before I got a good look at em. I even cocked my gun (encore). I had a good time so I guess that's all that counts. Tomorrow's the last day. I've got my fingers crossed and probably need to take a rabbit's foot with me too.
We'll see.

Dan
Old 05-14-2009, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

WTG!! Tim. I'll add him to our overall count. I don't think he will score as well as your first one but I'll see. Keep up the good work. Hey, that's one less branch you'll have in your way. lol
I hope you get another shot at ol big boy. We know he will score good.

Dan
Old 05-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

Tim, your 2nd bird scored a little higher than the first one so I let the mod.'s know. I had a really weird morning and called in a gobbling hen and a bearded hen. I sure would have liked to have seen a gobbler but I wouldn't trade this mornings hunt for anything. I've never seen a hen gobble. I've got one more chance this afternoon. We'll see.

Dan
Old 05-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck guys, I've been lucky enough to shoot 3 birds, and let my bro shoot a bird. I do have a tag left, but I think I am gonna start fishing and bowfishing full time, and hang up the turkey vest. Good-luck to all, I will still check the Team #18 forum.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry i havnt checked in guys been really busy at work havnt gotten a chance to hunt. Gonna try and go tommorow if the rain holds off.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

I called in a boss for my friend this morning. I haven't heard his final tallies, but I'm guessing 20 pounds plus, 1 1/8" spurs and a 10-11" beard. I love calling birds for other guys as much as I like to kill them myself.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

dido

Quick Reply: Team #18-"The Bubba Gump Turkey Co."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.