Team #7 "Strut Stoppers"

Old 03-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Team #7 "Strut Stoppers"

last one

Old 03-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

rynacam or anyone; how do you scout for turkeys????????
Old 03-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

Its still a little early yet i would say. How i do it is couple weeks befor the season ill drive around and look for turkeys stutting in fields early in the morning. Usaully if you see them in that spot a few days in a row or so they most likely have some good rousting trees in that area. Thats how i usally try to find out were the turkeys will be.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

mossbergman11

footwork......cover some ground and find them.....go at dusk to hear them gobbling on the roost.........find their roosting areas.....look for turkey crap underneath tree limbs.....big trees w/ horizontal limbs............then from a distance glass their strutting areas and their daily activities(strut zones will be a great spot to hunt them)...........basically, go live w/ the turkeys for a while!!!!!

go get em'

DP
Old 03-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

are "dusting areas" good places to look?
Old 03-14-2009, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

Dusting areas will tell you where turkeys have been, but depending on the weather and how mobile the birds are...that won't give you a set indication where they'll be and when they'll be therelike roosting and gobbling locations will. You'll want to pin-point them early on shortly after fly down or before roost so you know where they are, where theywere or where they're heading either to or fro.

Both breeds of turkeyswill dust and when the "turkey rut" hits full swing, dusting will be the last thing on the mind of a hot rooster looking to score....kind of like rutting bucks and their eating habits. Get a lock on where they're roosting or where they'll likely head after the fly down to stage and/or feed and you'll be sitting pretty.

We're lucky #7 for a reason boys....go get 'em.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the tips guys. Its always nice to get scouting ideas from other turkey hunters. Hopefully we are lucky number 7.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:58 AM
Typical Buck

Finally saw a nice tom by my house this morning about 10 mins ago heres some pics. He doesnt look to have very big spurs at all whenI zoom in. There will be bigger birds to come around though.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

another

Old 03-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice pics ryncam.

Mossy, when I get a new area to hunt, I actually wake up as if I was hunting (before the season but after the birds are actively gobbling in the roost), camo up, and go out & sit where you think they are roosting/flying down. Don't set up any decoys, don't call (so you don't educate them), and don't get up until the area is clear.This way you can hear where they are roosting, you can hear gobbles from other birds around the area, you can see where they flydown to, and you can also observe where they waunder to after flydown...which will likely be their strut zone.

This will tell you a lot. You will then know where to set up to hunt the flydown. If the flydown isunsuccessful, you will know where to go& get ahead of the birds to set up again...the strut zone. When gobblers are henned up, it is very common for them to stop gobbling after they fly down. If you don't know where they strut and they aren't gobbling, then you don't know where to find turkeys...so you end up guessing. However, if you know where they go after flydown, you can circle around them after flydown, get in front of them, and setup. Even though he might not be gobbling, you know he frequents the area. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Team #7 "Strut Stoppers"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.