Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > '09 Turkey Contest
 Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're  #1! " >

Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Community

Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Old 03-13-2009, 04:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Team 1 thread

Sounds like you have the place to be... maybe we'll have to take a team 1 fieldtrip out to see you!

Old 03-13-2009, 05:40 AM
JW
Super Moderator

TEam field trip?

haha like that

JW
Old 03-13-2009, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

JW... i'm with you... i prefer the last week... I always seem to get a wise old tom last week of our 4 week season when most have given up...

Old 03-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Fork Horn

I prefer the first1 1/2 weeks of the season. Especially in Florida. The birds have been gobbling for a couple of weeks already and they start usually slowing down around mid turkey season. A lot of time hearing nothing makes for a long day.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Here's the scouting report from this morning on one of my spots. Called in three big toms one of them strutting to beat the band at about 0730. They left and I then called in a huge group of jakes about 15 total. They were strutting and gobbling to beat all hell. I had so many turkeys gobbling all around me this morning it was awesome. Got my nephew out in the woods for his first turkey action and he is ready to go. I shouldn't have done it. Now all I can think about is gobbling turkeys.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Fork Horn

opening morning was yesterday for our youth. it wasn't the best weather with off and on rain. my 14 year old daughter and igot on a pretty vocal bird. worked it about an hour.we couldn't talk it into coming about 20 yards closer.she finally got a chance to feel the excitment of a gobble. adults can start monday. i'm heading out in a little while to check on him again. we also heard 1 across the creek............tony
Old 03-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

Went out scouting this morning at my father's house. There is a nice little chunk of woods back there that he has permission to hunt, and it is just filled up with deer and turkey. We got up a little after first light and right away they were gobbling. initially there was one group of about six birds that were really fired up so we sneaked towards them and gave a few calls. sure enough they gobbled at every sound we made and came charging right up at us, spitting, drumming, strutting, gobbling, fighting, the whole nine yards. They looked like mostly 2 year old birds but a couple had some real good beards so who knows. So we ended up shutting up so as to not educated them anymore then we had and as soon as they wondered off another group of about three birds started gobbling. by then we figured we had pushed our luck as it was and headed back to the house before we got tempted to mess with them too. It was all pretty exciting though, it has me even more excited to finally get out there and get after them again.

hyco-sorry to hear the weather wasn't too cooperative but it sounds like you and your daughter still had a good time. hopefully the weather on monday will be a little better for you and we can get on the board quickly, good luck!
Old 03-16-2009, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was out splitting wood Saturday morning, and I heard a few jakes and hens sounding off a bit on the neighboring hillside (they tend to roost over there as an alternative to our ground sometimes). My dad said a few days prior to that he saw two or three fly down out of the pines above the house at 10AM (lazy birds). We're still a month and half out, so I still have some more scouting to do.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

I'm headed to a different spot this evening. Gonna see if I can roost some. I just scored this place over the weekend so I'm headed to check it out tonight.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

opening day is here. so is the rain(for the last 3 days). not a peep or yelp. its suppose to stop this evening. maybe tomorrow will be better...............tony

Quick Reply: Team 1 "We don't need a flocking team name, we're #1! "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.