Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
 4 Plots Ready...What should I plant? >

4 Plots Ready...What should I plant?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

4 Plots Ready...What should I plant?

Old 06-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default 4 Plots Ready...What should I plant?

I live in Adams Co. IL and have FINALLY got my plots ready to plant. We have 2 1/4 acre plots, 1 1/2 acre plot, anda 1 acre plot. I wanted to plant clover and chicary (sp?) in the 2 small plots and turnips in the 1 acre plot. All the plots are in a field that had been in CRP the last 8 years so most of the fieldhad grown up into weeds and small thorn trees.

I was considering planting either alphalfa or a clover/chicary mix in the last plot. I wasn't sure if it was to late to plant alphalfa or if I even need a fourth variety. What do you think? Thanks!!!
Old 06-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 4 Plots Ready...What should I plant?

I'd wait for a Fall planting with Clover or Alfafa this late into the planting season. Your best bet would be to plant it in the Fall with some kind of protecting forage like Oats or Wheat. This will allow the clover a great headstart and it will be in great shape going into next Spring. However, that being said, I would strongly suggest a RR Soybean plot for the ultimate hunting plot. I've tried all the commercial blends and mixes and will still continue to experiement with some in the future but I promise you, we haven't found a hunting plot yet that could out produce a bean plot,.... especially one that you broadcast Brassicas over in Aug-Sept! YOu've got to try it? Good luck and good huntin'