Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need some help with feeders

Old 02-21-2004, 06:15 PM

Default Need some help with feeders

Guys I plan on purchasing a couple feeders to place on my families 100 acres in southern Ohio to attract deer/turkeys as well as help them out during the winter months. Every neighbor around us feeds them and we are at a disadvantage since we haven't been. What tripod feeders would you guys recommed? I'm looking for one that will hold 200-300lb of feed and is durable with some sort of setting. Help me out guys!
Old 02-22-2004, 08:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Need some help with feeders

Cabela's has a number of reasonable priced feeders. You need to pick out one that will allow you to adjust the different times of day for feeding as well as the length of time your feeder is on to adjust the amount of feed per feeding. You can get a 55 gallon drum and put a shallow funnel in the bottom to direct the feed to the center hold for the feeder. Either hang it with a cable and hand winch so you can lower it for filling or fit 3 legs on it. The 55 gallon drum will hold about 275 pounds of corn with the shallow funnel. It would be best to use a roasted soybeans or shelled peanuts with corn mixture. The pelleted feed, unless the deer are trained to eat it, will mold and sour on the ground.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I built my own feeder and saved a bunch of money.
1 55 gal drum = $13
Spinner/timer from Walmart = $65
3 x 12' round steel fence post = $40
1 6v rechargeable battery = $9
1 6v solar recharger = $13
leg brackets = $19
total = $159

The feeder holds 440 lbs of corn

Took me 45 minutes to cut and drill the holes and put it all together.

Seen a simular feeder for sale for around the $300 mark.
The only difference is mine is not camo but the deer and hogs dont seem to mind
Old 02-22-2004, 10:31 AM

Are you able to keep an eye on them? Down here in Texas I have to travel 4 hours one way to my lease so I have to have a dependable feeder. There's nothing worse than one that does not work everytime.
#1 remember, Good stuff ain't cheap and cheap stuff ain't good.
Solar powered is a positive.
Electronic timers are a plus.
get one that you can set the rate and times of feeding.
If you build your own as Aussie guy did be sure that you can get replacement parts at a moments notice.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:38 AM

Ausie-guy,

Do you have the plans for that feeder. I might be interested in making one.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

I have one thing to say. ONE TIME ELITE LIFETIME FEEDER. This feeder is IMO the best feeder out there right now. You can add a C battery pack (holds 8 C batteries) which will last 6 months throwing 2 x day for 8 seconds. You will fill your feeder up 2-3 times before replacing the batteries. The feeder itself comes capable of holding 8 AA batteries which will last you about 3-4 months. It holds 250lbs of corn and comes with everything included to set it up. Also, everything folds up so you can put it in the plastic drum. Cost is around 159 -189.00 depending on where you get them from. some places will give you a discount if you buy more than 2 of them. there is a country store in louisiana called paw pa's I think that has reasonable prices. do a net search. The elite version is a programable digital model. If you want to save a little money then go with the lifetime ontime. It uses clips and is not digital. Both models have a lifetime warranty, meaning if it breaks send it back with a 20.00 check and they will fix it and mail it back to you in a very timely fashion. I can say in 2 years of having 5 of them between friends and myself, only one has broke. sent it back to company and they completely refurbished the inside and had it back in 2 1/2 weeks. Very good customer service. Now with all that being said, I would buy an extra motor unit to use as a back up. I travel long distances also to fill my feeders and it was a costly error on my part. when I found that the motor wasn't working on the feeder it was complety full and had to let 600lbs of corn go on the ground. deer had a big time the next couple days. but with anything mechanical they will eventually break and you don't want to be in the same situation as I was.

Now if you want a bigger capacity feeder. Look at papaw's for their 600lb capacity feeder. I bought it for 400.00 and the ontime unit for 100.00. yea its a lot of money but for me I travel 100 miles one way to fill the feeder so in the long run I save money on gas and wear and tear on truck. also 600lb capapcity feeder is very movable by one person and I fill my feeder up about once every 4 1/2 months which means less disturbance to my hunting area. This is all just food for thought. I hope it helps. Stay away from the moultri unit as like someone else stated you get what you pay for. We had 3 but nothing but problems so switched to ontime and haven't looked back.

p.s my first feeder I built myself but as you saw in the above post at the cost, why build one when you can buy an ontime elite model for roughly the same price IMO.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

I built two feeders last summer.
Parts List...
Pickle Barrel with screw on top
Pipe, cable & clamps to hang feeder
New Day Feeder from game country $30

I had a sheet metal shop make caps so they would not have 2" of water ponded in the top.
This time feeder uses 4 D cells and spins 6 seconds about an hour before sunset and about an hour after sunrise.
I also built a stand to hold the feeder while filling it. Since the spinner on the bottom will not support the feeder when filled.
I put 300# in it and it would probably take another 50#

Picture at...
http://www.advanceddesignsinc.com/images/w0401008.jpg
Old 02-25-2004, 10:06 PM
Typical Buck

A word of warning, if you use a black barrel like I did, don't hang a trail camera near it. I have about 20 pics of this feeder. I guess it got warm and the wind moved it a bit and SNAP.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ausie-guy,

Do you have the plans for that feeder. I might be interested in making one.
micdundee

No I dont have plans but they are a snap to make.

I can take a pic of it next time I am at the lease and email you just PM me your email addy.