Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

setting up treestands

Old 04-06-2017, 02:39 PM
Dominant Buck

I would say the hunt with the wind in your face is mostly about still hunting/ tracking not sitting in a stand.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with that assessment.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I would say the hunt with the wind in your face is mostly about still hunting/ tracking not sitting in a stand.
I will strongly dis agree with this SOME WHAT
as if I am in a tree stand and expect deer to come from slightly behind me, I want the wind to be blowing away from direction I expect deer to travel! doesn't have to be in my face 100%, if you follow,!

But the wind is a BIG issue no matter the type of hunting, even on upland game, birds like to flush with certain winds more and a dogs nose will work better too, and other reasons to keep a tab on wind!
I hunt a lot of food plots and crop fields, and the wind plays a HUGE role at times
IN a big game hunting
if your scent is going into where deer( or other animals) bed, or are expected to come from when your in stand,
your doing yourself a big disadvantage, if the wind isn;'t taken into consideration and used to your advantage!

NOW if your hunting an area where you DON"T know where the deer MIGHT come from,( as someone said they think a deer can come from any where in a big woods oak flat or??, but even there deer have preferred bedding spots I bet?) wind I guess doesn't matter as your GUESSING on where they will be!

but if you pattern your deer movements and know there MOST likely direction of travel
the wind is what MOST deer live by to get places safely,
there nose if top of tyhe food chain in keeping them safe! IMO, and, then there eye's and hears come into play after there nose!

so, IMO< there is really never a GOOD reason NOT to try and have the wind in your favor when hunting!
it can ONLY increase your odds, where as wrong winds can decrease your odds!

If your counting on deer to get chased by walking hunters or deer drives, WELL?? then, MAYBE , but that's not how I think most guys hunt(minus maybe the opening day crowds that hunt 1-2 days a yr and then give up and count on dumb luck to fill tags ),
but bow hunters, I am sure don't rely on this method for having the best odds of being successful!

Last edited by mrbb; 04-06-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is not that complicated.......doesn't matter which way you or the deer are facing.

You simply don't want the wind blowing from you towards the deer.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I may add to this thread without causing a fuss I will add this.

As far as wind direction goes it isn't really cut and dried. The weather may say the wind is out of say the SW and when you go stand in a field or say had a wind vane out in a field you would almost surely be able to verify the wind coming out of the SW.

But when you enter the woods it can all easily change with swirling winds, rising or dropping thermals, etc.. How many times have you been around a campfire and everyone, no matter what their position around it, gets a face full of smoke now and then.

Yes I generally like the wind in my face and I like to move thru the woods of fields with the wind in my face too.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
This is not that complicated.......doesn't matter which way you or the deer are facing.

Exactly...whether you are on the ground still hunting or in a tree fixed over a path from bedding to feed or the opposite. I use stands often when bow hunting and always consider the wind when I am choosing which one to use. If the wind is wrong I go to another stand which uses the wind to my advantage. A mistake in choice will often ruin the stand for days especially for bucks so I am always very careful.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I'm all tired out now

thinking about all those treestands that I didn't have to put up. I still have the one treestand I started with.
It still faces the tree and I decided on wind conditions in the morning.
I'm lucky I can still use a 250 lb. carrying capacity treestand. Used one tree stand, cause it was the only one I could use at a time.

Had a fella sit at the base of one tree I had used. Must have figured out that someone got there first and took it. Probably never thought of someone using one treestand and taking it with him, when he left.

Last edited by Valentine; 04-08-2017 at 05:04 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
thinking about all those treestands that I didn't have to put up. I still have the one treestand I started with.
It still faces the tree and I decided on wind conditions in the morning.
I'm lucky I can still use a 250 lb. carrying capacity treestand. Used one tree stand, cause it was the only one I could use at a time.

Had a fella sit at the base of one tree I had used. Must have figured out that someone got there first and took it. Probably never thought of someone using one treestand and taking it with him, when he left.
I Guess if you only have one tree stand, you don't hunt a lot of different property's? or a property with a lot of acres?? that you like to move about for change of scenery at times??

I started off making my own stands, many yrs back before commercial one's were even on the market
them up graded and then added more and more over the yrs, so every time I hunting I didn;t have to carry one in, and set up and take down
too much wasted energy for me to do that every where I hunted, not to mention space in the truck when traveling to hunt??

but I can agree, ONE good stand in ONE good place, is all anyone might ever need
I had (owner sadly passed away of lung cancer)
but I had one stand set up there for 15+ yrs, and it produced time after time, was one of the best if not my best places to hunt, deer just went past that stand like they HAD TOO! LOL

Man I miss My friend there and, his land as well!
Old 04-12-2017, 09:59 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport

I absolutely agree.